We have an exciting opportunity for a dynamic and engaging surgeon to join the Luminis Health system and serve as the Lead Mitral Valve Cardiac Surgeon at the Anne Arundel Medical Center (AAMC). The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of clinical and academic excellence, and will be joining a recently established Cardiac Surgery program.
As a not-for-profit regional health system headquartered in Annapolis, Maryland, Luminis Health serves an area of more than one million people. AAMC is the third busiest surgical hospital in Maryland, performing over 25,000 cases annually. Nationally recognized in heart care, our specialists perform thousands of cardiac-related procedures every year, and cared for over 35,000 cardiac patients last year. Our cardiac catheterization lab performed over 1,400 diagnostic catheterizations, 170 STEMI, 400 PCI (acute and elective), 80 electrophysiology/ablations and 300 permanent pacers/AICD in our 2018 fiscal year. AAMC offers a wide range of quality heart services, from prevention and diagnosis of heart disease to interventional cardiology procedures and rehabilitation.
Surgical Director of Heart Valve Center/Lead Mitral Valve Cardiac Surgeon Role
The ideal candidate will be an accomplished cardiac surgeon capable of performing the full spectrum of adult cardiac surgery with special interest in mitral valve surgery (familiarity with minimally invasive techniques would be a plus), who will partner with our Chief of Cardiac Surgery to actualize our shared clinical vision and tripartite mission: clinical care, education, and research. Clinical responsibilities include the development of a comprehensive AAMC Heart Valve Center in collaboration with Cardiology. The ideal candidate will further enhance and develop our clinical services and maintain a safe, efficient, high quality Cardiac Surgery Program. Additional responsibilities include:
- Partner with the Chief of Service to foster the success of the program with respect to quality, efficiency, costs, community awareness, and integration of the program throughout Luminis Health.
- Participate in AAMC's Cardiac Service Advisory Council.
- Participate in the development of educational, morbidity and mortality conferences, and routine in-service trainings.
- Participate in all functions associated with surgical quality forums related to the program, including our Surgical Services Quality Forum, Grand Rounds, and Clinical Leadership Meetings.
- In collaboration with the Chief, develop plans to grow the overall volume and innovative offerings within the Divisions of Cardiac Surgery.
- Promote effective collaborations among faculty and other clinical and research scientists across Luminis Health, implement, develop and grow research initiatives within the Division, and present or publish on behalf of the Division and System.
- Participate in quality assurance, risk management, and patient satisfaction programs pertaining to Cardiac Surgery at AAMC.
All applicants will be eligible for a competitive salary and generous benefits package. Successful candidates will also have the opportunity to participate in our seed funding for research as well as statistical and clinical trial support.
Qualified candidates must show successful completion of an approved residency program in cardiothoracic surgery. Candidates must hold an MD or equivalent degree and be eligible for licensure in Maryland. Candidates must be board-certified in Thoracic Surgery, and have required sub-specialization focus on mitral valve surgery, with 6-10 years of post-fellowship experience.
To learn more about this exceptional opportunity - please send your CV to (see application details) or fax to (see application details)
Anne Arundel Medical Center is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.