Energize your career with one of Healthcare’s fastest growing companies.
You dream of a great career with a great company – where you can make an impact and help people. We dream of giving you the opportunity to do just this. And with the incredible growth of our business, it’s a dream that definitely can come true. Already one of the world’s leading Healthcare companies, UnitedHealth Group is restlessly pursuing new ways to operate our service centers, improve our service levels and help people lead healthier lives. We live for the opportunity to make a difference and right now, we are living it up.
This opportunity is with one of our most exciting business areas: Optum – a growing part of our family of companies that make UnitedHealth Group a Fortune 6 leader.
Optum helps nearly 60 million Americans live their lives to the fullest by educating them about their symptoms, conditions and treatments; helping them to navigate the system, finance their healthcare needs and stay on track with their health goals. No other business touches so many lives in such a positive way. And we do it all with every action focused on our shared values of Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation & Performance.
The Community Health Worker (CHW) in the Optum at Home program acts as a liaison for Dual Special Needs Members to ensure appropriate care is accessed, home and social assessments are completed, resources leveraged, and education provided. They work as part of a care team including a Nurse Practitioner, Case Manager (Behavioral Health Advocate or Registered Nurse), Care Navigator, and other supporting team members. The CHW assesses functional, social, and behavioral needs of members and collaborates to develop and implement solutions through in-home visits, telephonic outreach and consultations, and interdisciplinary team activities.
The Field Based Community Health Worker (CHW) provides assessments of social and functional health issues affecting chronically ill and high-risk patients in a variety of environments, primarily the home setting. The CHW works in collaboration with a multidisciplinary team to identify and access services to close care gaps and improve quality of life of OAH members. They help to manage health problems by coordinating health care services for these members in accordance with State and Federal rules and regulations. This includes (but is not limited to) assessment, development and implementation of plan of care, and ongoing evaluation of patient status and response to the plan of care. Ongoing care and management of members is conducted in collaboration with other care team members and includes scheduling of follow up clinician visits with member agreement.
- Locate, outreach and engage members within the community that clinicians and care navigators have not been able to reach; create a positive experience and relationship with the member
- Assesses functional and social needs of members and collaborates to develop and implement solutions with the frequency established in the model of care
- Establish goals and a plan of care to meet identified functional and social needs
- Plan, implement and evaluate responses to the plan of care
- Work collaboratively the multidisciplinary team to engage resources and strategies to address medical, functional, and social barriers to care
- Works closely with clinicians to help bridge the gap for these previously un-engaged members
- Identify, refer, and coordinate available community resources to address non-medical needs and ensure patient access to services
- Completely and accurately document in patient’s electronic medical record
- Provide patients and family members with education regarding the need for follow up as appropriate during each patient visit
- Actively participate in organizational quality initiatives
- Participate in collaborative multidisciplinary team meetings to optimize clinical integration, efficiency, and effectiveness of care delivery (e.g. Pod calls)
- Demonstrate a commitment to the mission, core values and goals of UnitedHealthcare and its healthcare delivery including the ability to integrate values of compassion, integrity, performance, innovation and relationships in the care provided to our members
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
- Must have resided within the community for 2+ years
- Knowledge of culture and values of community
- Familiarity with the resources available in the community
- Access to reliable transportation that will enable you to travel to client and / or patient sites within a designated area
- Ability to travel up to 75% of the time for field based work; valid driver’s license
- Ability to work from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday with flexibility to adjust schedule based on member's needs
- 3+ years experience in working with at risk populations
- Field based experience highly
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Certified Nursing Assistant / Home Health Aide, or Medical Assistant
- Bilingual fluency in Spanish and English
- CHW Certification
- Experience working in managed care
- Knowledge of Medicare/Medicaid population
- Ability to work with diverse care teams
- Exhibit independent clinical judgment, but the ability to consult and engage with other team members for improved patient outcomes
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make the health system work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health - related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.SM
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Keywords: CHW, community, clinical, outreach, member, Optum, Pittsburgh
View our Covid-19 Resources Page at: https://info.uhg.com/