Job Title: Coordinator, College & Career
School Year: 2020-2021
The Coordinator, College and Career will be responsible for ensuring that every high school student and their family receives proactive and effective support to successfully transition the student to college and career. The Coordinator will maintain a high-quality College & Career Advising Team, comprised of existing school staff and teachers. This position is a safety-sensitive position. As a result, throughout employment this position will be subject to the Employee Mandatory Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy.
The Coordinator, College & Career will report to the Manager, College & Career Programs in Schools.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
- With school leadership, creates a College & Career Advising team, including staff, teachers, and support organizations, to identify the services and support currently being provided; and develops a strategic plan for the College & Career approach for the high school.
- Leverages existing resources to ensure that all students and families receive high-quality college and career counseling in order to: develop a smart college list, submit applications in a timely manner, and complete all financial aid paperwork.
- Ensures effective implementation of college and career tools and programming (e.g., SAT Test Prep, Naviance) to support college and career exploration, preparation, and planning.
- Regularly utilizes postsecondary and career data to create goals and drive student programming.
- Ensures that college and career advising is a priority/responsibility of all school faculty and staff.
- Ensures consistent college & career messaging throughout schools.
- Coordinates college tours and career exposure opportunities.
- Markets and support students in dual credit programs.
- Liaises with dual credit partner institutions to ensure programmatic success.
- Stewards relationships with local and national Top Tier Universities with high DCPS graduation rates.
- Implements a continuum of work-based learning opportunities throughout grades 9-12, including compensated internships for 11th and/or 12th graders.
- Supports the coordination of teachers, school leadership, and appropriate advisory boards and business partners to secure career exploration opportunities and internships in the local community.
- Provides resources and support to ensure that all DCPS students have post-secondary plans, including job placement and employment support.
- Implements programming, workshops, and home visits developed by DCPS Central Office (OFPE & OPPR) for family engagement in college and career.
- Implements Central Office initiative to engage and involve successful school alumni to encourage the success of students in college and career.
- Master's degree and at least two years of related work experience.
- Previous exposure to or experience in the education sector a plus.
- Ability to analyze data to inform work and decision making, to analyze and to evaluate available data, to assess student needs, and to develop and implement procedures and policies to support student achievement.
- STUDENTS FIRST : We recognize students as whole children and put their needs first in everything we do.
- COURAGE : We have the audacity to learn from our successes and failures, to try new things, and to lead the nation as a proof point of PK-12 success.
- EQUITY : We work proactively to eliminate opportunity gaps by interrupting institutional bias and investing in effective strategies to ensure every student succeeds.
- EXCELLENCE : We work with integrity and hold ourselves accountable for exemplary outcomes, service, and interactions.
- TEAMWORK : We recognize that our greatest asset is our collective vision and ability to work collaboratively and authentically.
- JOY : We enjoy our collective work and will enthusiastically celebrate our success and each other.