Photonics Design Automation Engineer - Exploratory Design Group
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Aug 18, 2020
Role Number: 200186880
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. Dynamic, smart people and inspiring, innovative technologies are the norm here. The people who work here have reinvented entire industries with all Apple Hardware products. The same passion for innovation that goes into our products also applies to our practices strengthening our commitment to leave the world better than we found it. Join us to help deliver the next groundbreaking Apple product! Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? As a member of our dynamic group, you will have the unique and rewarding opportunity to craft upcoming products that will delight and inspire millions of Apple's customers every single day! In this role, you will work within an Optical Science team, collaborating with a highly multi-disciplinary group, to develop and demonstrate new sensing platforms based on integrated photonics. You will take advantage of your technical breadth in software and automation to enable the development of a robust photonics design infrastructure to enable new classes of products based on photonics technology.
- The ideal candidate will have 4+ total years of experience in integrated photonics, plus most of the following:
- Solid grasp of photonics and optoelectronics fundamentals.
- Experience with simulation of integrated optical active and passive components at both component and circuit level, including FDTD, waveguide mode solvers, and scatter matrix.
- Excellent programming ability, with experience developing software and scripting in Python, Matlab, Perl, or similar. Linux shell scripting is a plus.
- Experience with photonics circuit simulation and layout, and industry-standard physical verification methodology (DRC/LVS).
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced team environment.
As a Photonic Design Automation Engineer, you will have the following responsibilities: - Work with the System Engineering team to invent, implement and test optical sensor concepts. - Conduct first-principles numerical simulations of photonic devices and systems. - Work with internal silicon engineering team to develop and implement physical verification methodologies for integrated photonics. - Work with the team to test and validate fabricated devices and feed back test data to refine a photonics PDK. - Develop scripts and automated workflows linking photonics simulation, layout, and verification tool suites.
Education & Experience
Masters degree or PhD in Physics, Applied Physics, Optics, EE, Computer Science, or related field is required.