Contributes to the provision of high-quality, cost-effective health care through the direct care of patients and in collaboration with other members of the health care team. Understands self motivation in performing basic nursing care. Participates in the team nursing concept, completing tasks as delegated by the assigned nurse.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Provides direct care to patients with special attention to personal hygiene in daily morning and bedtime care and comfort.
- Initiates and maintains all types of safety measures and comfort care to patients.
- Provides support to patients, families and visitors in polite and ethically appropriate manner.
- Remains knowledgeable in oxygen administration, monitor lead application and point of care testing.
- Assists with admission of patients by greeting and performing initial weight measurement, vital signs, disrobing as necessary and orientation of patient to room and equipment.
- Prioritizes discharge of patients by assisting with dressing, gathering belongings and transport if necessary to lobby; removes equipment and supplies from room for environmental staff cleaning.
- Performs vein puncture and IV therapy, performs routine dressing changes and skin care, obtains blood, wound and throat cultures, inserts foley catheters and documents all procedures and treatments according to departmental policy and procedures.
- Participates in patient care, vital signs, intake and output and other data collection and records according to policy and procedure.; obtains specimens as requested using approved procedure.
- Assists patients with mobilization and/or positioning as ordered by physician or unit protocol.
- Recognizes and reports pain, patient complaint or obvious change in patient condition to assigned nurse.
- . High School Diploma or GED.
- Adherence to the credentialing requirements of AAMC as stated in the Nursing By-laws.
- Certified Nursing Assistant
- American Heart Association HealthCare Provider BLS
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands -
Heavy work. Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.