Product Design Engineer - Tech Lead
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Aug 31, 2020
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200189200
Mac... iPod... iPhone... iPad... AppleWATCH... what's next? We are a team of hardworking engineers who are designing, prototyping, analyzing, and eventually launching that next new product category at Apple. Our team is looking for an experienced PD Lead to join us, with the scope of your role adjusted to match your experience level, strengths and goals. Responsibilities include: Providing technical mentorship to a 10 person PD team integrating advanced optics and new display technologies into a new form factor. Lead precision mechanism design. Deep cross-functional engagement: working on optics, human factors, thermals, camera, display, EE, EPM, TPM, MD, etc. Frequent involvement with Industrial Design team. High exposure to engineering VP's. Many opportunities for growth.
- PD high-level ICT, Tech Lead or Manager. Scope of role and responsibilities adjusted accordingly
- Strong analytical skills with regard to mechanical engineering theory
- Experience working in technical project groups in a professional environment
- Experience in 3D CAD (NX and Teamcenter), 2D Drawings, Tolerance Analysis
- Wide knowledge of basic engineering materials and manufacturing processes
- Experience engaging with manufacturers, DFM and FAI/CPK reports
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Creative problem solving, with experience in failure analysis, root cause investigation, and DOE creation
- Expected travel will be 10-25% per year, based on project phase
As a Product Designer on this team, you and your team will be given ownership over the mechanical design of specific parts or modules within the product and will be responsible for the analysis, assembly, and reliability of these parts. Our goal is to ensure the highest quality product for our customers. In this role you will engage in frequent multi-disciplinary collaboration with teams like Industrial Design, Project Management, Materials, Manufacturing, EE, Display, Camera, Antenna, Battery, and more. You will have a uniquely rewarding opportunity to craft future products that will delight and inspire millions of people every day. Do you thrive on building solutions? Are you ready to explore a new domain with a hardworking team? By joining our team, you'll work side by side with your teammates inside Apple and at our partner facilities to define parts of the system in CAD, create drawings, and collaborate with vendors to produce these parts. You will perform engineering analyses on your designs using appropriate methods such as hand calculation, computer simulation, FEA, and dimensional tolerance analysis. You will assemble early prototypes, travel to China to support engineering builds, and tackle problems on the assembly line.
Education & Experience
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering required, Master of Science preferred.