Capacity and Monitoring Management Lead, Ad Platforms
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Sep 2, 2020
Role Number: 200189212
At Apple, we work every single day to build products that enrich people's lives. Our Advertising Platforms group makes it possible for people around the world to easily access informative and forward-thinking content on their devices while helping publishers and developers promote and monetize their work. Our technology and services power advertising in Apple News and Search Ads in App Store. Our platforms are highly-performant, deployed at scale, and setting new standards for enabling effective advertising while protecting user privacy. In this role, you'll be responsible for helping Ad Platforms grow and scale in a responsible way. You'll be responsible for modeling the capacity we need for new products in our Public Cloud and On Prem environments, identify efficiency opportunities, and developing reporting to understand our ongoing costs in Public Cloud. In addition, you'll be responsible for the health of our monitoring implementation, and will develop business metrics monitoring for our products. This role is a key part of revenue protection for Apple's Advertising business, and is key to how Ad Platforms will continue to grow.
- You have 8+ years of industry experience with capacity management, monitoring and SRE roles.
- Strong experience building spreadsheet models of infrastructure capacity needed for new products.
- Experience building investment case cost analyses of new products.
- Familiarity with internet service infrastructure architecture, ability to understand standard architecture patterns, and ability to recognize non-standard approaches. Experience with both services and data intensive architectures.
- Experience assessing internet service architectures and recognize and highlight potential opportunities for capacity optimization. Experience discussing better options with engineering teams.
- Very strong experience with financial modeling in Excel.
- Experience developing KPIs to assess and trend efficiency of infrastructure architectures and ability.
- Experience with standard monitoring solutions and techniques used in the internet services world.
- Experience developing monitoring approaches for business related metrics
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbal, with technical and non-technical multi-functional teams.
- Experience partnering across
- Result oriented and deadline driven.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work well with all levels of engineers and managers.
- Prior experience in advertising industry is a huge plus.
As Ad Platforms grows, we're looking for a strong technologist with a strong analytical background who can help us grow smart and come up with ways to ensure our monitoring works exceptionally well. We need someone who can develop spreadsheet models of our new products - untangling complicated architectures, building models, and developing the key metrics that assess how our products grow. This evolves naturally into assessing the key business metrics of our business, and how we monitor them. Advertising is a complicated business, and there are many metrics to monitor, in many markets. You'll help to develop a scalable approach to monitor these metrics, and evangelize with engineering teams to build the approach for these metrics. You'll oversee the implementations, ensuring that we track and maintain the health of our monitoring. You'll do all this as an individual contributor, working across various engineering teams to get items on their backlogs. You'll partner with subject matter experts in the SRE organization to implement many of your ideas.
Education & Experience
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science/Engineering discipline or equivalent. Master's degree preferred.