The Ideal Candidate
Are you an experienced Executive Director who is looking to lead a high functioning nonprofit organization that is on the rise? Do you value-creating educational opportunities and want to change the trajectory of at-risk, first-generation college-going students and their families?
Waukegan to College is seeking an Executive Director. As the ideal candidate, you have a track record of success within a small-to-medium size nonprofit, value diversity, and are a collaborative builder of vision, teams, and strategies. To you, every person who is a part of the organization, including the students, families, community, staff, and volunteers are equally valued and respected. You’re ready to not only lead the organization by creating successful strategies, but you’re prepared to help with the day-to-day responsibilities as Waukegan to College impacts not only the lives of students but their families and the community as a whole.
Waukegan to College
Waukegan to College is a change agent that is dedicated to preparing first-generation college students to enroll in and graduate from college. Intending to create brighter futures, we work with students, their families, and the community to build a college-going culture within a population that is striving to overcome high poverty and low college attainment. We are an inclusive and collaborative nonprofit that is looking for a talented Executive Director to lead the organization into its second decade of impact-driven work.
The Executive Director, in collaboration with the board, staff, and volunteers, leads in executing the vision, mission, and strategy of Waukegan to College. The role requires the ability to develop and implement strategies that move the mission forward as well as being an active participant in the execution of the day-to-day responsibilities.
With strong leadership skills and in-depth knowledge of nonprofits, the new Executive Director will continue to grow the organization and its positive impact in the community. The ideal candidate values diversity and respect and has or is ready to build strong, long-term relationships within the broader community that lead to financial gifts and support. Through all their work, the Executive Director will demonstrate a passion for helping first-generation, low income, underrepresented students graduate from a 4-year college or university.
The position will include a wide variety of responsibilities, including:
- Serves as the passionate and consistent voice of the organization and its mission
- Develops and maintains a long-term strategic plan which supports and amplifies the mission
- Leads and manages the creation of new initiatives
- Serves as the financial steward for the organization
- Leads the appropriate plans to sustain and grow a diverse funding base
- Cultivates personal relationships with current and future top-tier donors
- Engages and energize Waukegan to College volunteers, board members, event committees, alumni, partnering organizations, and funders
- Recruits, leads, coaches, develops, and retains Waukegan to College’s high-performance staff
- Serves as the primary linkage between the board and the organization’s strategic direction, activities, and staff
- Maintains confidence and enthusiasm of the board by providing timely information on the key triumphs and pressing needs
- Ensures ongoing programmatic excellence and relevance by capturing and evaluating program metrics
- Oversees the development and implementation of marketing campaigns
- Represents Waukegan to College at professional and community meetings and events, including evening and weekend events
- Oversees infrastructure – facilities, information systems, telecommunications – to ensure reliable operations and support growth plans