Senior System Hardware Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Sep 16, 2020
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200188766
We're a diverse collection of thinkers and doers, continually reimagining what's possible to help us all do what we love in new ways. The people who work here have pushed forward entire industries through the Mac, iPhone, iPad, AirPort, HomePod, and Apple TV, and do so by collaborating deeply with service partners, including iTunes, the App Store, Apple Music, Apple Arcade, Apple TV+, and Apple Pay. Join us in developing solutions the world doesn't know of yet. You will be a part of a hands-on development team at Apple's headquarters that has a significant role in the development of new Apple products. Our system integration team is looking for exceptional electrical engineers to complement our world-class system engineering team. In this role, your contributions with your deep understanding of the video, audio, wireless, and sensing technology domains to drive silicon decisions, provide technical leadership in driving product development, develop robust and scalable schematics, provide technical guidance during layout, teach and mentor junior engineers, and collaborate with a vast cross-functional team to deliver the worlds best, most optimized, designs.
- The ideal candidate will have 7+ years experience with system-level analysis and simulation, along with circuit design, schematic capture, PCB layout, system integration, and lab characterization.
- Experience working with multiple multi-functional teams (e.g. software, mechanical, technology module) to balance design tradeoffs
- Excellence in the following areas: system integration and validation, mixed signal design, signal and power integrity, embedded system design, knowledge, debug, and characterization capability of various communication protocols (especially HDMI, DisplayPort, PCIe, USB, SPI, I2C and UART).
- Must have great analytical skills to lead the team on key systems engineering architectural and implementation trade-offs on high-performance, low-power, and high quality products
- Skill writing test or automation software in high level languages is a plus (e.g. C, Python)
- Experience designing products for millions to live their lives from beginning to end as well as experience creating and influencing system specification documents
- Expertise in board CAD tools, preferably Concept & Allegro
- Technical understanding or experience with one or more of the following engineering domains: RF design and integration, wireless standards (802.11, BLE), sensor design, high speed A/V integration, and camera / optical sensor integration.
- Proficiency in use of oscilloscopes, logic and protocol analyzers, and general lab equipment as it applies to debugging of electrical circuits
Do you want to be a member of our team, to contribute to every aspect of system engineering? You can apply your engineering expertise and work with cross-functional teams to realize products that consumers will love! You will solve complicated engineering problems by selecting components, designing schematics, directing layout, and bringing-up/debugging circuits in the lab. Expect to collaborate with several groups including PD, DFM, RF Design, OPS, Software, HW Test, etc. to bring a product from concept to mass production. You will define and influence custom, future silicon. You will go beyond the industry norm and demonstrate creativity in problem solving, ability to think dynamically and outside of standard convention, and adapt quickly to new technical areas. You will provide mentorship and technical leadership to our engineers. Occasional travel internationally to work with our manufacturing partners is expected. We promote innovation and new technology to further improve Apple's hardware performance and user experience.
Education & Experience
B.S., M.S., or PhD in Electrical or Computer Engineering with relevant experience