AI/ML - Engineering Program Manager, Machine Learning & Platform Technology
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Machine Learning and AI
Posted: Sep 22, 2020
Role Number: 200194298
Apple's Core Machine Learning team is seeking an experienced program manager to help bring ML solutions to everyone. You will help us maximize the adoption and capabilities of Apple's external-facing ML solutions while minimizing the effort for third-party developers that want to incorporate machine learning into their app development. To do this, you will partner with engineering teams that deliver cutting-edge on-device performant machine learning frameworks, platforms, tools, and services while inherently respecting and actively protecting customer privacy. This role requires an upbeat and motivated individual with strong communication, organization, and relationship-building skills who work well in a fast-paced and multifaceted environment. As a member of the AI/ML EPM team, you will be responsible for providing product guidance and strategy to new customer-facing features that millions of customers around the world will use.
- 5+ years as a Project or Program Manager on large-scale customer-facing feature development.
- Has shipped at least one large (multiple months of development) software feature to external-facing customers in a principal leadership role through the entire life cycle (planning, executing, and shipping).
- Has been in a role that requires working cross-functionally with multiple teams; software and hardware engineering as well as other PMs, privacy, design, security, marketing, legal, and others.
- Experience with open-source products and working with the open-source community on behalf of an engineering program.
- Has been in a role that owns providing regular executive-level project and program status in both written and verbal form.
- Knowledge of software engineering best-practices and related dependencies.
- Have a spotless record of reliability and integrity representing your products, program, and engineering organization; a shown history of delivering what you promise when you promise it.
You will be expected to facilitate and drive the right cross-functional conversations to make Apple's third-party machine learning ecosystem both focused and compelling to developers of all levels of expertise. You will be driving collaboration and communication efforts both inside and outside of Apple, including helping represent the team's efforts at Apple WWDC (World Wide Developer Conference). You will improve our understanding of third-party developer needs and define the direction of products like CoreML, CreateML, and our ML domains by doing product analysis of various ML solutions offered by Apple and other companies to different customer profiles. You will provide comprehensive and effective ownership of large projects and features from inception through delivery; leading all aspects of specifications, scope, requirements, timelines, and prioritization. This ownership includes communicating all levels of project planning, development status, and executive reviews. This role is expected to be very autonomous and to constantly turn ideas into action and creatively overcome obstacles. Your portfolio will cover multiple areas, including customer-facing features with UI elements; development and improvement of on-device ML components; client and server work; focus on internal & external adoption of Apple's ML technologies; better collaboration with Apple Security, Privacy, and HW teams, and team-level representation of MLPT efforts. You will need to build and maintain new and existing relationships across Apple AI/ML organization, first-party App teams, the OS teams, relevant hardware teams, Privacy & Security, Marketing & Evangelism & Worldwide Developer Relations, Legal, and other Apple programs. Responsibilities include building trust and collaboration, negotiating alignment of priorities, and communicating and driving completion of dependencies. Making sure that good decisions are made by the right people is your priority.
Education & Experience
BS/MS EE/CS/CE or equivalent
- - Experience shipping multiple global consumer-facing features at a large company where software is one of their primary products.
- - Ownership of a framework, tool, or service focused on enabling or improving some aspect of third-party developer teams.
- - Professional experience working on products or projects involving machine learning; especially on-device ML or hardware-optimized ML, open-source ML products like PyTorch & TensorFlow, and training ML models.