Senior Product Footprinting Engineer (Environmental Technologies)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Sep 23, 2020
Role Number: 200192993
Apple's Environmental Technologies team is seeking a candidate to help us design world-leading products with lower environmental impacts. We use a combination of detailed measurements, comprehensive modeling, and targeted engagements with design teams to drive strategic and relevant environmental initiatives. Our methods are rooted in life cycle assessment (LCA) and material flow analysis (MFA), but cover a range of fields within science, technology, and engineering. We are determined to uncover where impacts occur within our products and product supply chains, find opportunities to mitigate those impacts, and drive initiatives to reduce those impacts. Imagine the impact you can make in this role! Are you passionate about reducing environmental impacts through innovative designs? Do you have experience with life cycle assessment and want to use it to affect real-world change? Are you comfortable working with large datasets and have a knack for using data to drive decision-making? Learn more about the role below!
- Extensive experience with LCA methods, modeling approaches, data, and applications. Proficiency with one or more professional LCA software packages (e.g., GaBi, SimaPro), including architecting and running sophisticated, multi-parameter models is required.
- Experience developing process-based LCA models for engineering and/or manufacturing processes; knowledge of electronic component production (semiconductors, printed circuit boards, etc.), raw material production (aluminum, steel, plastics, etc.), mechanical part production (machining, stamping, injection molding, etc.) and/or industrial engineering is preferred
- Familiarity with environmental indicators and impacts, particularly with respect to carbon, water, energy, and resources
- Scientific computing skills, including data analysis, visualization, and working with large datasets. Programming experience with Python, R, or similar is preferred; advanced spreadsheet capability required.
- Comfortable developing assumptions, working and making decisions with limited and imperfect data, and quantifying and identifying sources of uncertainty
- In this role we are looking for a self-motivated, enthusiastic, and detail-oriented team player.
- Comfortable presenting to and working with both technical and non-technical teams with crisp communication style.
As a member of our team, you'll work on practical design and policy problems to support various environmental initiatives. You will work closely with a range of engineering and operations teams on a large variety of problems, from data collection and validation to building models to estimate product environmental impacts. Most projects will include gathering, developing, and integrating data, architecting LCA models of material production and manufacturing processes, using these data and models to develop environmental overviews and guidance, and sharing these findings through powerful visualizations.
Education & Experience
BS degree required; MS and PhD degrees welcome; engineering background strongly preferred.