Provides technical maintenance services to sustain a continuing program of city-wide facilities.
Work is performed under general supervision, with the ability to exercise discretion in selection of work method and schedule.
Position Schedule: Monday-Friday, 6:45am-3:15pm
Successful completion of employment verification, NCIC background check, physical examination (if applicable) and drug screen are required prior to employment with the City of Cedar Rapids.
Examples of Essential Duties:
- Maintains and installs heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems and components throughout the facilities, including troubleshooting and analyzing pneumatic, air cooled and water cooled component problems;
- Maintains Geo-Thermal systems and components;
- Operates various building automation systems to aid in trouble shooting equipment;
- Maintains water conditioning systems and components;
- Maintains air conditioning, power boiler systems components;
- Performs efficiency testing of above systems and adjusts components for optimum operational efficiency;
- Performs preventive maintenance on all equipment above according to manufacturers and established procedures;
- Maintains an inventory of replacement parts and components to ensure continuous operational availability;
- Wears and properly uses safety equipment including personal protective, fall protection equipment and gas detection equipment;
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies, procedures and safety practices;
- Attends work regularly at the designated place and time;
- Supports continuous process improvement initiatives;
- Performs related work as required.
Required Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the maintenance techniques used for all air conditioning, hot water systems, Geo thermal systems, chemical water treatment, pressure and temperature control systems, and pumps;
- Knowledge of proper safety practices used in the HVAC industry;
- Knowledge and ability in the proper operation and troubleshooting of mechanical, heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration equipment;
- Knowledge of OSHA permit-required confined space entry protocol, right-to-know laws, CPR and First Aid;
- Skill in special piping and fitting requirements of the industry;
- Skill and ability in the troubleshooting and analysis of pneumatic and hydraulic systems and component problems;
- Skill in reading and understanding the specialized vocabulary and schematics used in solid state and pneumatic control of HVAC equipment;
- Skill and ability in the adjustment and calibration of combustion control and emission control components;
- Skill in preventative maintenance on various RTU’s, ERU’s, VAV’s, chillers, cooling towers and minisplit systems
- Ability to use a personal computer with a variety of Windows based programs;
- Ability to properly utilize the following equipment and tools: hand tools, soldering cutting and welding equipment, power tools, combustion analyzers, multi-meters, ammeters, pressure and temperature analyzers, leak detectors, refrigeration gas equipment and water testing equipment, sheet metal fabrication tools, personal protective equipment, gas detectors, fall protection equipment and lock-out/tag-out;
- Ability to perform specialized mathematical functions associated with the HVAC industry;
- Ability to work under general supervision and exercise discretion in work method and schedule;
- Ability to work cooperatively and to maintain effective working relationships to accomplish job responsibilities;
- Ability to quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and/or technology;
- Ingenuity and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks.
Acceptable Experience and Training:
- Requires successful completion of courses in maintenance and repair of HVAC equipment and power boiler equipment and support systems, and a minimum of five years current experience in the maintenance and repair of such equipment, with Journeyman level experience.
Required Special Qualifications:
- Valid U.S. Driver’s License
- Ability to pass NCIC background check
- High School Diploma or equivalent and Mechanical or HVAC license issued by the State Of Iowa; or
- An Associate's degree in Industrial Maintenance.
- ChlouroFlouroCarbon (refrigeration) Certification required and Boiler certification preferred.