Wireless Hardware Design Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Oct 8, 2020
Role Number: 200197917
Would you like to join Apple's growing wireless silicon development team? Our wireless SOC organization is responsible for all aspects of wireless silicon development with a particular emphasis on highly energy efficient design and new technologies that transform the user experience at the product level, all of which is inspired by a world-class vertically integrated engineering team spanning RF/Analog architecture and design, Systems/PHY/MAC architecture and design, VLSI/RTL design and integration, Emulation, Design Verification, Test and Validation, and FW/SW engineering. As a Sr. Wireless Hardware Design Engineer, you will be responsible for crafting development boards and reference designs for testing and evaluating emerging wireless chip technologies.
- Developing test boards to collaborate with wireless chips, FPGAs, PMUs, sensors, and other peripheral support chips over a variety of digital interfaces, including I2C, JTAG, UART, SPI, SPMI, and PCIe based on preliminary chip specifications.
- Designing of power distribution and filtering networks for wireless chips.
- Hardware bring-up, bench evaluation, and troubleshooting using oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, spectrum analyzers, network analyzers, and wireless testers.
- Understanding of PCB design principles for minimizing unwanted coupling and Rx desense.
- PCB component selection and specification, including sockets for testing wireless chips.
- Schematic collection and layout using Concept/Allegro and Altium.
- Familiarity with DV tools.
- Understanding of DFM, DFT, SI, and PI principles for Wireless PCB design, including RF interface requirements of characteristic impedance and matching.
- PCB construction requirements to meet SI and reliability requirements testing wireless chips.
- Mechanical part design and modeling with tools such as Solidworks and NX.
- Leading vendors for PCB and mechanical part fabrication and assembly, and well as prototype part fabrication using 3-D printing.
- Providing AE support for engineers integrating wireless chips into final products.
Design Engineers work closely with internal chip and package design and chip integration teams to design, build and validate development boards required for chip bring-up and characterization. You will also work with external component vendors, PCB houses, and Apple factories to support wireless chips over their lifecycle, including application engineering support for product development teams.
Education & Experience
BSEE in EE. MSEE is preferred.
- Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.