The National Multiple Sclerosis Society is seeking an Executive Director for its South Central market to join our dynamic team and do life changing work. You will be based out of our Dallas location.
You will be a member of the Society Leadership and Management Team and, as such, must maintain a broad knowledge of the Society, uphold our culture, articulate and model the Society's Operating Principles, and must contribute to strategic discussions and the development and achievement of an integrated Society plan and budget. A primary responsibility is for you to work effectively on leadership teams; cultivate high performing teams and contribute to increasing capacity in yourself and others through professional development and continuous improvement.
You will expand the Society's resources and reach and ensure people affected by MS feel supported and connected. You will engage diverse community leaders to achieve Society priorities and expands the Society's presence and connection throughout communities in the chapter territory. You will ensure councils and other leaders are effective in their community outreach and empowers community leaders to serve as ambassadors of the Society in their own communities. You will effectively communicate the Society's integrated research, services, and advocacy strategies and how the Society impacts the lives of people affected by MS. The trust and confidence in the Society of all constituent groups will reflect your effectiveness.
For more information about our mission, please visit our website at www.nationalmssociety.org
As Executive Director you will:
- Assess, create, and enhance community presence and connection
- Build trust and confidence in the Society as the leadership executive in the territory
- Assess and prioritize communities and activities for community outreach and engagement to advance Society priorities within the Strategic Plan
- Identify, convene, and connect people, groups, and community resources to the Society and to each other (including geographic and social media influencers, secular and religious groups, schools, professional and civic associations, and other community leadership groups).
- Ensure diversity and ensure community members feel included (e.g., attend to unconscious bias)
- Empower individuals and groups to engage and propel the MS movement (outreach to others, awareness, advocacy, connection, and support of others with aligned interests)
- Ensure priorities of the Society in the chapter territory are effectively executed
- Coach and develop staff and volunteers to create new connections and extend the Society's reach
Drive revenue growth
- Participate in setting and ensuring the achievement of revenue budget, forecast, and target
- Lead staff in identifying, strategizing, and pursuing cross-functional connections and opportunities for relationship collaboration
- Identify, cultivate, steward, and recognize top relationships (donors, fundraisers, teams, corporate and community partners)
- Manage a portfolio of top relationships and participate in relationship management teams (often leading the teams)
- Identify new and potential donors through community connections
- Ensure effective leadership volunteer event committees (by attending and at times leading the committee)
- Increase operational effectiveness and capacity
- Demonstrate a commitment to all Society staff growth and development. Actively participate in the professional development plans and activities of staff.
- Identify, develop and grow staff and volunteer capacity (skills and talents) to achieve measurable and sustainable results while removing obstacles
- Ensure staff and volunteer leadership behaviors are aligned with Society Operating Principles; provide timely feedback and coaching to improve performance and behaviors
- Participate in decision-making and professional development as a member of the Society Leadership and Management Team (and other Society leadership and work teams, as appropriate)
- Ensure operations are effectively managed and aligned with Society practices; adhering to all Society policies and procedures
- Recognize and remove barriers to organizational effectiveness; demonstrate and actively contribute to innovation and continuous improvement
- Maintain a strong sense of teamwork and foster a positive and inclusive working environment
- Ensure a consistent experience for people affected by MS, volunteers, and participants, regardless of where people live
Here's what we are looking for you to bring to the role:
- BA/BS or equivalent experience plus 10 years related experience, with a history of job growth and advancement, preferably with non-profit organizations.
- Experience working in a cross functional and complex reporting structure.
- Experience in special events and traditional fundraising with success in developing and cultivating relationships to secure gifts and contributions from individuals and corporations.
- Experience in community engagement and volunteer development.
- Experience in budget management, forecasting, risk management and resource development with a proven ability to meet financial goals.
- Successful track record in developing high performing staff teams and creating positive workplace environments. Knowledge of employee relations practices.
- Demonstrated success developing effective nonprofit boards.
- Must have strong executive presence in the community and can connect effectively with a wide range of constituents. Must be able to describe the Society's impact in progress toward a world free of MS.
- Must travel as necessary to Society meetings and throughout the assigned territory.
- Must demonstrate superior skills in gaining the trust and confidence of a wide range of people, providing strong leadership without specific named authority.
- Constituent relationship management, and online meeting tools.
- Strong public speaking, presentation and writing skills required.
Our highly competitive benefits package provides comprehensive medical benefits and a 401k plan. We provide ample Paid Time Off and holiday time. We value continuous learning and support your professional development at each step of your career. You will join an incredible mission focused team of people!