Performs a daily review of the provider schedules for designated Anne Arundel Medical Group sites in order to identify procedures requiring insurance verification.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Initiates the verification and pre-authorization process for Anne Arundel Medical Group with insurance carriers. Contacts insurance companies, referring physicians and patients, according to department policies and procedures.
- Accesses payer on-line tools to verify patient insurance coverage and authorization information when applicable.
- Enters pre-authorization information into the Revenue Cycle system in the designated computer screens to prevent denials. Identifies insurance carriers/procedures requiring special referral forms, according to departmental policy.
- Provides support/assistance to practice and billing department, Revenue Cycle and/or billing vendor in the resolution of verification or authorization issues.
- Attends staff meetings, in-services, insurance payer meeting or web-based training. Utilizes updated Insurance Matrix information.
- High school diploma.
- Excellent customer service skills required. Must demonstrate excellent professional and courteous interaction with patients, co-workers, referring physicians, and other health care professionals. One year of previous insurance experience in a health care environment. Knowledge of medical terminology is required.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills, both verbal and written. Computer experience.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will not be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands -
Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.\
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.