Position Objective: Directly assist Bay Area Midwifery in caring for patients. Train and coordinate back office staff. Assist during births in the Birthing Center under the direct supervision of the CNM. Provide once a week, and as needed, 24-hour birth assist coverage. Provide IBCLC Lactation Consulting services to Bay Area patients and families.
Essential Job Duties: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Contributes to the provision of high-quality, cost-effective healthcare as a provider of direct and indirect patient care by effectively collaborating with other members of the heath care team, providing direct nursing support, birth assist and lactation consultation services to Bay Area Midwifery patients.
- Collaborates with the healthcare team as the senior LPN in developing and individualizing a plan of care for each patient in accordance with established standards; including phone triage of incoming calls, calling results to patients, rooming and assisting with patients in exam rooms, managing birth center inventory and ordering supplies.
- Efficiently implements the patient's plan of care in accordance with applicable standards, policies, procedures and guidelines. Demonstrates proficiency in medication administration, and continuously evaluates the effectiveness of the plan(s) of care, making recommendations for revision to the health care team based on analysis of patient responses to interventions.
- Coordinates and manages nursing coverage for the office and birth assistant schedules including training and supervision of other LPN's.
- Assists the Certified Nurse Midwives in caring for the patient and family during labor in the Birth Center; acts as a "second pair of hands" during births and/or emergencies; and directly assists the family immediately following birth and during the postpartum period. Cleans and restocks the Birth Center following the patient's discharge.
- Provides 24-hour birth assistant call on a weekly, and as needed, basis.
- Provides International Board Certified Lactation Consulting (IBCLC) to patients at Bay Area Midwifery. Plans, organizes and delivers lactation services to all breastfeeding patients on an outpatient basis including evidence-based breastfeeding support and care, from preconception to weaning, for women and their families.
- Performs comprehensive maternal, child and feeding assessments related to lactation developing and implementing an individualized feeding plan in consultation with the mother in accordance with established standards.
- Educates women, families and health professionals within the BAMC community about breastfeeding and human lactation.
- Establishes effective collaborative relationships with other members of the health team as it relates to prenatal care, intrapartum & postpartum care and breastfeeding support.
The minimum level of education and experience for this position includes:
- Currently licensed as a licensed practical nurse in the state of Maryland
- Currently certified as a Lactation Consultant by the International Board of Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC).
- Experiences in general nursing, preferable maternity nursing
- Hold current Adult CPR and NRP certification.
- Maryland Board of Nursing LPN
- International Board of Lactation Consultant Certification , IBCLC
- Adult CPR
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP)
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands -
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.