Maintains safety and security of patients at all times by assisting nursing staff in the monitoring of patients on emergency petition, with mental health conditions, and/or behavioral issues. Assists in providing a safe environment for fall prone, confused, and/or cognitively impaired patients. Communicates and collaborates with care team members to support the provision of safe, high-quality health care.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. All duties described below will be carried out under the direction, discretion, and supervision of the Registered Nurse:
- Maintain patient safety and security while remaining alert, attentive, and distraction-free at all times; observes patient behavior and reports inappropriate and non-compliant behavior as necessary to the appropriate staff.
- Monitor patient behavior closely. Remains in close proximity and/or maintains line-of-site (required for all suicidal and petitioned patients) as appropriate.
- Promptly communicates patient needs and abnormal/inappropriate behaviors to nurse, patient care technician, and other care team members. Proactively manage patient behavior through verbal redirection under the direction of a registered nurse and/or mental health clinician. Physically intervene, when necessary, to redirect or decrease inappropriate behavior or movement.
- Comply with all aspects of policy GNP14.6.41-Suicide/Homicide/Mental Health Safety Precautions in appropriate situations.
- Accurately and consistently document required time-sensitive safety checks and environmental checks in the patient record or through alternate approved charting method. Consistently provide thorough hand-off report at all transitions in supervision.
- Ensure appropriate visitation as directed by the registered nurse and that belongings, food, and other items brought to patients by family/visitors are allowable and safe. Control patient telephone usage at the direction of the registered nurse/MHC.
- Maintain confidentiality with all patient information, including during interactions with patients, families, visitors and staff. Strictly adhere to organizational policies regarding inappropriate access to patient information.
- When working with pediatric patients, attendants will engage in developmentally appropriate and safe activities as identified by the Pediatric Team.
- Perform other duties as assigned, i.e. unit supply stocking, environmental care, room preparation and safety.
- All employees working as a Patient Safety Attendant, in a one-to-one ratio, who are certified to work at Anne Arundel Medical Center as a Certified Nursing Assistant are expected to perform all duties for their patient that fall within the scope of their certification.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands -
Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.