Inertial Sensing Engineering Program Manager
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Oct 20, 2020
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200200149
In this critical role, you will play a key role in engaging with external vendors and internal customers to specify, develop and characterize inertial sensing systems for autonomous technologies. You should be familiar with inertial sensor development such as development schedule/milestones, design, performance metrics, inertial sensor usage, critical safety and system integration. As the engineering program manager you will oversee and coordinate all development milestones including internal/external phase-gates, vendor design/quality/process reviews, adherence to industry standards and development schedule as well as facilitating the top level feature integration and cross-functional communications. The Motion Sensing Hardware Team features a collaborative environment with creative, smart people which works closely with other cross-functional teams across Apple on cutting edge technologies. This team defines and integrates (mainly MEMS based) magnetic, piezo and capacitive sensors across a variety of Apple products. Engineering excellence, technical curiosity, innovation and thoroughness are expected and encouraged. Pushing the envelope to design and ship innovative products with best-in-class technologies and user experiences is the main goal of this sensing technology team at Apple. Come, join us in moving the needle and crafting solutions the world doesn't know of yet!
- Product development/engineering experience and proven track record and ability in shipping semi-conductor, sensing and other related hardwares
- Technical background (e.g. hardware development) with preferred knowledge of inertial sensing technologies
- Fundamental knowledge and experience in physics, mechanical, electrical, and material science engineering
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Ability to filter and distill relevant information for the right audience
- Ability to navigate in ambiguity and uncertainty and see around the corner
- Self motivated and proactive with demonstrated creative and critical thinking capabilities
- Solid problem solving, failure analysis and debugging skills
- Solid teamwork: the candidate must be able to fit in well with a team, understand capabilities and priorities while fostering a collaborative environment
- Great organizational and leadership skills, and ability to inspire and align team members
- Familiarity with interfacing micro-controllers with analog and digital sensors, embedded programming and signal processing
- Familiarity with data collection, data analysis, and statistical analysis tools (Matlab, Python, JMP)
- The willingness and ability to travel internationally are required.
Core Responsibilities: Lead and align cross-functional teams including electrical, mechanical, process, reliability, software and firmware engineering to deliver state-of-the-art inertial sensing solutions Act as a liaison between cross-functional teams and ensure tight inter-team coordination and communication Define the program plan/schedule and manage program execution working with external inertial sensing vendors Help deliver executive communication/presentations and drive the decision-making process Manage and support engineering development builds, keeping track of engineering activities such as performance validation, yield optimization, and failure analysis coordination Work with inertial sensor vendors and system teams to proactively identify and resolve issues Manage multiple overseas suppliers and vendors in preparation for, and execution of, engineering development builds and new sensor development Effectively and consistently communicate overall program status to cross-functional partners and executive team Identify and resolve conflicts, inter-dependencies and program issues quickly and efficiently Work with the cross functional teams to identify and mitigate program risks Efficiently and effectively react to unexpected changes in the program due to outside influences and/or issues that arise Improve the system: look for patterns, offer best practices and implement change
Education & Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent (MS and PhD preferred) with 5-10 years industry experience in a related discipline (e.g. EE, ME, etc.) required Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. For more information, please click here. Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law. If you are applying for a position in San Francisco, please click here. Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law. Learn more. Apple's committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Learn more. Apple is a drug-free workplace. Learn more.