The RM Coordinator is responsible for identifying and investigating adverse events to identify improvement opportunities, early claim resolution opportunities, and to prepare for potential litigation.. The RM Coordinator serves as the RM resource to their assigned entities and attends appropriate entity level meetings to represent RM. This position will also identify and lead risk assessments projects to reduce liability risk. In collaboration with the Director/Manager, plans and carries out activities involving event investigation and evaluation of claims, potential claims, risk identification, and data analysis.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Investigates, collects, evaluates, and distributes relevant information concerning adverse events and near misses to identify improvement opportunities, facilitate disclosure, initiate early claim resolution (if applicable), and to prepare for potential litigation.
- Completes both mandatory and voluntary medical device reporting to Med Sun/FDA and participates in product recall process.
- Determines potential loss exposure and completes notices of loss forms thoroughly and timely.
- Obtains pertinent materials including medical records, bills/invoices, demonstrative evidence, and equipment as well as policies and procedures in anticipation for defense of future claims.
- Performs risk assessments for assigned entity.
- Manages assigned entity level RM activities by attending meetings, serving as point of contact for assigned entity questions, managing subpoenas not related to entity lawsuit, and other associated activities.
- Reviews adverse event, near miss, and NOL data and produces reports to identify trends. Participates in improvement projects to impact identified trends.
- Participates in development and presentation of education programs for staff and providers.
- Maintains RM data and files in compliance with regulatory agencies and ensures confidentiality.
10. Collaborates with other Risk Management Coordinators to coordinate work and provide cross coverage.
The minimum level of education and experience for this position includes:
- Bachelor Degree in related field.
- Minimum of five years recent, broad clinical experience in the acute hospital setting required.
- Minimum of three years recent, leadership experience.
- Health care risk management experience with emphasis on adverse event management preferred.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is reasonable expectation that employees in this position will not be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands - Light Duty
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.