The Media Relations Strategist is a member of the Luminis Health Marketing and Communications team. The individual coordinates media relations, public affairs and outreach activities, and assists with online communications integration for the health system, as aligned with business development and health promotions objectives. This position serves as spokesperson for the health system and is charged with publicizing AAMC services and programs to internal and external audiences through print, radio, television, cable and online media sources.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Activities take place on the main campus, off-site satellites, and at other community venues, as well as online, at a variety of hours, both day and night.
- Serves as spokesperson for health system on media requests and other media inquiries. Rotates as 24-hour on-call representative.
- Develops, coordinates, and executes strategic media pitches. Coordinates news releases with communications colleagues. Maintains and continuously updates media list for day-to-day operations and in the event of a crisis.
- Develops strategic media plans in concert with AAMC business objectives and capitalizes on established relationships with local, regional, and state media to ensure positive coverage of AAMC. Maintains a strong internal relationships and understanding of health system programs, services, and personnel. Plans, tracks, and schedules media opportunities.
- Supports crisis communication strategies, and official AAMC responses as needed. Coordinates snow emergencies and disaster/drill activities. Responds to crisis as needed and works closely with senior leaders on crisis management as assigned.
- Coordinates online media strategy, expanding media interests across the Internet and across emerging and established social media sites. Maintains a list of local, state and national health blogs and web resources.
- Communicates news, online media, and strategic communications activity to board members, senior leaders, and workforce via appropriate media activity reports and dashboard reporting.
- Assists with events that build positive public awareness of system services including news conferences and office openings. Ensures that events are executed within established budget and are coordinated in collaboration with the appropriate clients and resources, including department assistants.
- Assists Marketing and Communications team and leaders with other departmental activities as assigned.
- Incorporates activities into the online project management system, allowing for tracking and reporting in context of departmental annual plan. Mentors team members related to specialty.
The minimum level of education and experience for this position includes:
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field required. Master's degree preferred.
- Knowledge of community, media outlets, and government affairs desired.
- Detail oriented.
- Ability to write in various styles, including business communications, conversational writing and advertorial copy.
- Event planning and/or multi-media production experience preferred.
- Healthcare industry knowledge preferred.
- Enthusiastic, driven and team-oriented desired.
- Five years of experience in journalism, media relations, public relations, or communications services.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will not be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands -
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.