The Nurse Navigator contributes to the provision of high-quality, cost-effective health care as a provider of direct and indirect patient care and by effective collaboration with other members of the health care team. Maintains their nursing skills, can assist the nursing staff in direct care.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Demonstrates clinical nursing knowledge and skill in the specialization of the Unit.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply the nursing process effectively in the care of culturally diverse patients and families. Demonstrates an ability to apply all policies, standards, guidelines, and evidenced-based practice in the provision of patient and family care.
- Consistently and thoroughly assesses patient needs to collect data and identify learning needs according to established standards and policies.
- Utilizes the systematic and complete analysis of assessment data to develop individualized problem lists and care plans for assigned patients.
- In coordination with the RNs and medical team will develop and individualize a timely plan of care for each patient and family in accordance with established standards, appropriate prioritization of problems/needs, and mutually agreed upon goals. Includes scheduling, initial consultations, referrals, follow-up appointments, ancillary services, etc.
- To ensure effective implementation of the patients plan of care in accordance with applicable standards, policies, procedures, and guidelines with the interdisciplinary health care team.
- Demonstrates the ability to assess the patient and family learning needs, readiness to learn, learning style, and presence of barriers to learning. Demonstrates the ability to develop and implement teaching plans for patient populations in unit specialty in accordance with applicable standards.
- Provides care to patients and families in a culturally, developmentally, and ethically appropriate manner.
- Plans of care addresses the physical, psychosocial, spiritual, and learning needs of the patients/family.
- Participates in unit shared governance according to departmental standards.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum of three years clinical nursing experience.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Possess good analytical and deduction skills.
- Ability to be sympathetic and provide emotional support to the patient.
- Organized and able to multi-task while working in a tough, stressful condition with a positive attitude.
- Previous Nurse Navigator experience.
- Adherence to credentialing requirements of AAMC as stated in the nursing bylaws.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will or will not be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands -
Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.