Catoosa Public Schools Bilingual Paraprofessional
Provides language (Spanish) interpretation and translation for students, staff and families in various environments as scheduled.
For the purposes of this job description, interpretation is defined as spoken conversion of one language to another, and translation
is the written conversion of one language to another (Spanish/English).
Provides instructional support to EL students while under the direction of the District EL Coordinator and/or the teacher of record.
• Works under the direction of the District EL Coordinator in coordination with principals.
• Assists in the capacity of a liaison between school and home to improve communications in the areas of academic
progress, behavior, attendance, medical records, school events, scheduling and attending conferences, etc. Translating
school communications such as newsletters into parents' primary home language using proficient typing and/or computer
• Translates written materials into professional format as requested.
• Works with counselors, administrators, and teachers to interpret and translate. Works with counselors, school nurse, etc.
with EL student records to ensure all necessary paperwork is current and accurate and communicates when additional
information is needed from students and parents. Translate any student transcripts when necessary. Assist secretaries and
counselors and parents/guardians with enrollment, withdrawals, etc. Works with law enforcement officers to interpret and
• Works with staff to organize and implement events for EL students such as scheduling, field trips, parent-teacher
conferences, family nights, cultural fairs, etc.
• Works with social service agencies to increase access to information and opportunities for students and their families
outside of the school
• Able to have flexibility in schedule to work evening conferences scheduled by the school
• Follows interpreter/translator code of ethics, including standards for confidentiality of information (FERPA).
• Provides direct instruction and tutoring under the supervision of the District EL Coordinator and/or a certified teacher to
increase student understanding and learning through translating and interpreting directions in the classroom, homework
• Prepares instructional materials.
• Performs a variety of clerical tasks, including typing, making copies, collating, gathering resource information and
materials, filing, food program record keeping, fundraising activities, answering phones, taking and relaying messages,
word processing, etc.
• Provide supervision of students in the classroom, playground, hall, restroom, therapy area, gymnasium, other specified
areas on a school campus, community-based activities, and/or transportation situation.
• Performs other duties as assigned
• High School diploma or equivalent, and
• Two years of college coursework (48 units), OR
• Obtained an associate degree (or higher), OR
• Pass a local assessment of knowledge and skills in assisting in instruction (Parapro, WorkKeys, OGET)
• Fluent in written and oral Spanish and English (specific language requirement for specific positions)
• Extremely knowledgeable with oral and written English
• Ability to work with others and take direction
• Ability to work with adults and children
• Experience in language interpreting and translation preferred, but not required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, talk
and hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms, and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must
occasionally lift and/or move up to 60 pounds. Specific vision abilities required for this job include close vision, distance vision
and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the
essential functions of this job. Employee experiences constant interruptions and inflexible deadlines. The noise level in the
environment is quiet to loud. Duties are performed primarily indoors and occasionally outdoors. Inter-district and out of town
travel required as necessary for training and/or to carry out duties and responsibilities.
If you feel you are a good fit send your resume today!