POSITION TITLE: Extension Horticulture Aide
REPORTS TO: Lead Extension Educator/Board Administrator
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Provide research-based information in horticulture to clientele in Buffalo County, and to some
extent, to residents and other staff in neighboring counties through educational programs,
news media and individual consultations.
- Collect and maintain updated horticultural information as reference for study and
- Answer questions via phone calls, office visits, email/mailing or on-site visits.
- Manage Master Gardener program including training.
- Prepare and deliver educational programs to the community.
- Provide regular news columns and TV programs.
- Organize Farmers Market together with local committee.
- Conduct 4-H Horticulture program including Horticulture contests, judging team
training, and fair exhibits.
- Assist in School Enrichment when appropriate relative to subject matter.
- Assist professional staff with above programs and other functions as determined by
Essential Knowledge, Experience, and Abilities
- Skills or experience in horticulture; vocational or professional training preferred.
- Ability to interact positively with youth and adults.
- Ability to provide timely information or education to clientele.
Essential Education, Certifications, and/or Licenses
- High School diploma or equivalent but prefer candidate with Associate’s or Bachelor’s
- Possess a valid State of Nebraska driver’s license
- Experience reading and understanding legal descriptions
Essential Physical Demands and Typical Working Conditions
- Must be able to carry, stand, drive, kneel, speak, squat, hear, climb, walk, sit, reach, and
pull on a regular basis
- Must be able to stand or walk for an entire day.
- May be exposed to fumes, hazards, dirt, heat/cold, chemicals, noise and toxins
Proposed percentage time breakdown
This is a half-time position. Possible increases in appointment time may be available at future
dates. Work-week schedule may be negotiated.
- Adult horticulture programming 35-40%
- 4-H Youth horticulture programming 5-7%
- General Extension programs support 3-5%
This position is a county-funded position and will exist as long as these funds are available.
Essential Attendance and Availability Requirements
- Must have regular attendance
- Must be punctual
- Must have the ability to work overtime when necessary
- Must have the ability to work at the job site
- Must have the ability to travel
- May work indoors or outdoors in any type of weather
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all
inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to perform the job
successfully. The County recognizes that an individual with a disability may require an
accommodation to enable him or her to successfully perform a job function. Consideration will
be given to reasonable accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, or disability.
Accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request. Please contact the ADA Coordinator at (308) 236-1224 at least 48 hours prior to the meeting or the activity you would like to attend, or 48 hours before the date you need to access our facilities or services, if accommodations are required.