Responsible for the effective processing of written and verbal information related to patients, coordinating the flow and functioning of the unit, and facilitating communications among all medical staff, hospital staff, patients, and visitors. Contributes to the provision of high-quality, cost-effective health care as an integral member of the patient focused care team.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provides support for unit operations and quality patient care. Assists physicians, and other licensed independent practitioners (LIP) with entering computerized orders into EPIC. Serves as a resource for answering questions about C POE or locating required items for patient care.
- Processes confidential patient information and paper records efficiently and accurately according to established Health Information Management policies. Assists with the assembly of patient records for transfer to other levels of care (internally and externally) and at time of discharge/transfer. Assists with printing transfer information including dictated summaries and diagnostic radiological CD's for external patient facility transfers. Ensures all paper chart elements are transferred to Medical Records within 24 hours.
- Answers primary unit telephone and triage calls appropriately. Greets patient families and visitors upon arrival to unit and distributes patient welcome packet or unit information brochure. Provides on-going visitor and staff assistance in a pleasant and helpful manner, according to established standards for all age groups. Seeks other opportunities and takes action to continuously improve patient and family satisfaction.
- Orders and maintains all unit stock according to unit standard. Ensures adequate unit operations with sufficient supplies of necessary paper documents i.e. informed consent, transfer forms, death certificates, and downtime procedure forms in each alcove and unit stock.
- Assists with accurate documentation of unit specific admission, discharge and transfer sheet, charge entry or shift report as delegated. Ensures patient transfer or discharge from system; processes patient charges as outlined by specific departmental requirements in a timely manner.
- Provides leadership team and educator confidential administrative support and data entry by assisting with copying, preparation of departmental reports related to skills and competency, and education records.
- Participates in unit shared governance, councils and committees according to unit departmental standards. Assists with unit based meeting minutes as required.
- Educates and orients new staff as requested; participates in peer and team evaluations.
- Provides required shift communication for patients, physicians, nursing staff and families by administration of informational "white-boards", staff assignments and phone assignments.
- Reports to and consults with unit director for other tasks that may include payroll support, environment of care and fall rounds, safe place and badge management and other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- One year in a professional office environment or equivalent.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands -
Light work. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for light work.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.