Title: Business Intelligence Analyst
Employee Group: Management Staff Non-Exempt
Location: Auburn Hills Campus - Auburn Hills, MI
Division: Institutional Effectiveness
Application Deadline: Sunday, November 29, 2020 at 11:59pm
Shift Days: Monday - Friday: 8:30am - 5:00pm
Salary Range: $52,628 - $59,819
Summary of Purpose:
The Business Intelligence Analyst queries institutional data in support of college efforts to assess the efficacy of academic and non-academic policies, procedures, services and programs. Working in a team oriented, sequel environment the analyst mines large datasets to identify patterns and relationships between college practices and student success. The employee works in a high volume, fast paced, multi-cultural diverse working environment.
This description is intended to indicate the types of duties and responsibilities requested of the employee assigned this title. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that may be required:
- Analyzes organizational data including examination of enrollment patterns, enrollment projections, predictors of student success, patterns of demographics, instructional staffing replacement, and instructional costs and revenues.
- Writes and revises complex queries and reports in accordance with project specifications and timelines. Maintains accurate procedural documentation for verification and replication.
- Works collaboratively with departmental and college staff to develop extracts, statistical reports, and analyses. Applies sampling techniques to determine and define groups to be surveyed.
- Performs work in conformance with established College, department, professional organization, federal, and state guidelines as well as best practices, policies and procedures.
- Remains current on college policies and procedures and assess their impact on the integrity of institutional data.
- Assists in write ups of statistical methods and results.
- Uses visualization applications to communicate analytical results to senior administration, college faculty and staff, and representatives from outside organizations.
- Maintains confidentiality of information.
- Ability to work additional hours, as needed.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office software especially advanced knowledge of MS ACCESS (query and data management functions) and SPSS (or other statistical software).
- Proven skill in visualization applications such as Power BI, Tableau, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to correctly identify the statistical procedure most appropriate for the variables in question.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and communicate statistical information.
- Demonstrated ability to write SQL select queries including where statements to filter data, variable creation, sub queries, pivots, join, sort and group/aggregate.
- Ability to explain relational databases and the outcomes of each type of join (inner, outer, cross).
- Detail oriented and proven track record of producing high quality work.
- Proven ability to operationalize complex ideas, manage complex projects, and meet strict deadlines.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirement:
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Social Science, Computer Science, Statistics or applied research methodologies. Master’s Degree preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Three (3) years data mining/querying experience in sequel. SQL coding examination required for employment.
Required Documents Message:
Cover Letter, Resume