Staff Attorney Minnesota Disability Law Center
The Minnesota Disability Law Center (MDLC) is seeking an experienced staff attorney to work in its downtown Minneapolis office to advance the dignity, self-determination and equality of individuals with disabilities. This position will focus primarily on litigation. MDLC serves people with disabilities on legal issues that arise from their disabilities. MDLC is a statewide project of Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (Legal Aid) and is the designated agency to protect and advocate for the rights of persons with disabilities in Minnesota. MDLC represents individuals with disabilities and also plays an active role in policy advocacy.
Responsibilities: This position includes interviewing clients, reviewing records, conducting legal research, negotiating outcomes, and representing clients in administrative hearings and in state and federal judicial proceedings. Experience with discovery and motion practice in disability rights litigation, particularly within the intersection of disability, race and gender is important. The Staff Attorney position also provides education and training sessions about the legal rights of people with disabilities for people with disabilities, parents, advocates, and professionals/service providers and the community, as well as participates in other activities of MDLC.
- Provide legal services and advice to individuals eligible for MDLC services which may include legal advocacy, negotiation, mediation, litigation and handling of administrative and court proceedings.
- Collaborate with MDLC staff in determining which cases to litigate.
- Apply the principles of the MDLCs vision and Legal Aids Racial Justice Values Statement in all work-related business and interactions.
- Participate in case reviews with supervisors and MDLC teams.
- Follow MDLC policies and procedures regarding case handling and electronic case management.
- Develop and maintain content expertise of disability rights issues.
- Co-counsel cases and provide technical legal support to MDLC staff.
- Develop and manage caseload.
- Provide technical assistance to others.
- Conduct a selected number of education and training presentations and participate in MDLC outreach and monitoring efforts.
- Be familiar with and participate in MDLC policy work.
- Maintain effective communications with clients and other MDLC staff.
- Perform other duties as requested or required.
Qualifications: Attorney applicants must be licensed in Minnesota. Attorneys admitted in states other than Minnesota can get temporary pre-exam admission. Five to nine years of disability rights or discrimination-related litigation experience is required. Concern for the needs and rights of people with disabilities is required. This position requires the ability to work positively within a law office, supporting co-workers while focusing on high-quality service to clients. This position requires demonstrated legal skills, strong legal writing, excellent communication skills, effective litigation outcomes, ability to travel, proven record of effective case handling and outcomes. Proficiency using Microsoft Windows and Office is required. A high level of commitment to service excellence, plus high degrees of integrity, ethics and judgement are a must. Experience with systemic or complex litigation is preferred. Second language ability, particularly Spanish, ASL or Somali, is a plus. Diverse economic, social, or cultural experiences are a plus.
Salary: $55,312 - $59,976; upon Minnesota bar admission, D.O.E. Salary based on Legal Aids salary schedule. Benefits include generous vacation, sick leave, family medical, life, and short-term and long-term disability insurance.
Applications: Applications preferred by November 18, 2020, but will be accepted until position is filled. Starting date will be negotiated based upon bar admission and office needs. Cover letter and resume should be submitted online at www.mylegalaid.org/employment.
No agencies. No calls.
Legal Aid/MDLC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.