PHY Systems Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Nov 5, 2020
Role Number: 200205364
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish! Join us to help deliver the next groundbreaking Apple product. Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? As a member of our dynamic group, you will have the unique and rewarding opportunity to craft upcoming products that will delight and inspire millions of Apple's customers every single day. Wireless technologies have become a crucial part of all Apple devices that delight our customers. Our devices operate in radio environments with wide range of applications and intertwines different wireless technologies. With the latest developments in cellular, WiFi, and BT, we utilize a sophisticated simulation platform to study performance of our devices in complicated radio and network conditions and gain insights for system design. We are looking for an expert Wireless System Engineer who has a deep understanding of wireless device interactions in a network, different protocol layers, and different technologies within the same device. In this role, you will be responsible for crafting and simulating state of the art physical layer wireless communication systems with emphasis on beam management. This position requires someone comfortable will all aspects of systems and algorithm development, that thrives in a dynamic cross-functional organization, is not afraid to debate ideas openly, and is flexible enough to pivot on constantly evolving requirements.
- In-depth knowledge of wireless communication systems (OFDM/MIMO, etc.)
- Experience in wireless design of 3GPP compliant modems (5G-NR/4G LTE) highly desired
- Experience with digital/analog beamforming, performance characterization and mmWave technology is highly desired.
- Hands on experience on lab testing & characterization will be a plus. Experience on bring up real silicon in lab and familiarity with lab equipment such as signal generators, spectrum analyzers, power meters a plus.
- Deep understanding of communication theory & signal processing related algorithms design (such as timing recovery, signal estimation and detection, automatic gain control, RF impairment estimation and correction, channel estimation, equalization, coding theory, etc.)
- Experience with Matlab or Python and/or C/C++ for algorithm development, modeling, and simulation.
- Experience in modem architecture, microprocessor architecture, HW control is a plus.
- Experience on bring up real silicon in lab, be able to efficiently use lab equipment (such as spectrum analyzer, signal generator, power meter, etc.).
- Design and simulate state-of-the-art physical layer wireless communication system algorithms for very high data rate applications. - Work on an end-to-end link level simulation platform to characterize and demonstrate performance of algorithms and analyze complexity tradeoffs. - Work cross-functionally to realize these algorithms with power and area efficient implementations. - Test and characterize real silicon in lab.
Education & Experience
MS/PhD in Computer Science or Electrical/Computer Engineering or equivalent experience.