Job Title: Bus Driver
Reports to: Director of Transportation
Ensure safe and orderly transportation of students on assigned route. Operate school bus that transports students and other authorized personnel to and from schools or other designated location
Valid Texas commercial driver’s license (Class B) with “P” & “S” endorsements
Must be 18 years of age
Ability to pass alcohol and drug test
Ability to complete required bus driver safety training
Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
Ability to communicate effectively
Knowledge of student discipline procedure
Ability to manage student behavior
Ability to operate bus
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Follow assigned route and adhere to established schedules.
- Drive bus to and from extracurricular activities.
- Check bus for mechanical defects before and after each operation and notify mechanic of needed repairs.
- Report all accidents, vehicle damage, student injuries, and mechanical failures. Complete required reports.
- Keep assigned bus clean and fueled.
- Supervise students while they board and leave the bus as well as cross the street.
- Do not drop students (Pre-K – 2nd) off if you know or are in doubt that parent / guardian is home.
- Communicate with parents and/or principals when necessary regarding student behavior while on bus.
- Maintain discipline; follow IPCISD Bus Safety Regulations. (See Attached)
- Instruct students on safe riding rules and regulations.
- Observe all traffic laws and safety regulations for school buses.
- Inspect bus daily to ensure bus can be operated safely before driving.
- Ensure proper condition of emergency equipment, such as first aid kit, fire extinguisher, flags, fuses, crow bar, and reflector.
- Correct unsafe conditions in work area that could cause an accident and inform supervisor of any conditions that are not correctable immediately.
- Report any hazardous conditions along the route.
- Operate two-way radio equipment to communicate with transportation office.
- Work irregular hours as needed.
- Attend and complete required training program to maintain safety certification.
- Report bus mileage, gas and oil consumption, and number of passengers transported when necessary.
School bus, safety equipment (flares, reflective signs), fire extinguisher.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control. Continual sitting, reaching, and repetitive hand and arm motions. Work outside and inside; moderate exposure to extreme temperature (hot) and vehicle fumes.
Click "apply" above to submit materials for consideration online via our website.