5G/4G Cellular Layer1 Control Firmware Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Nov 10, 2020
Role Number: 200206200
Do you have a passion for invention and self-challenge? Do you thrive on pushing the limits of what's considered feasible? As part of a world class modem team, you'll craft sophisticated leading-edge embedded firmware that deliver more performance in our products than ever before. You'll work across disciplines to transform improved hardware elements into a single, integrated design. Join us, and you'll help us innovate new cellular technologies that continually outperform the previous iterations. By collaborating with other product development groups across Apple, you'll push the industry boundaries of what wireless systems can do and improve the product experience for our customers across the world. Do you want to have an impact on every single Apple product? As a Cellular Layer 1 Firmware Engineer on this team, you will be at the center of the 5G/4G/multimode cellular firmware effort within a silicon design and firmware development group responsible for designing and productizing state-of-the-art cellular SoCs. This position requires someone comfortable will all aspects of embedded software development, that thrives in a dynamic cross-functional organization, is not afraid to debate ideas openly, and is flexible enough to pivot on constantly evolving requirements.
- Hands-on experience with PHY L1 Software/Firmware in 2G/3G/4G/5G.
- Deep understanding of software engineering principles, and core computer science fundamentals.
- Fundamental facility with C and C++, compilers, build and source code control tools.
- Significant experience with memory constrained Real Time Operating Systems (RTOS) and concurrent programming.
- Working knowledge of computer architecture with particular emphasis on the HW/SW interfaces of high speed communication subsystems.
- Experience with silicon prototyping, emulation systems, and virtual platforms.
- Proficiency debugging embedded software systems.
- Familiarity with UARTs, JTAG, and oscilloscopes.
- Some mainstream OS application level development and Python or Perl scripting experience.
- Knowledge and experience of Matlab is a plus.
Specify, design, and implement PHY L1 firmware of a state-of-the-art mobile wireless communications system.
Implement key scheduling, control processing in tight timeline, latency and energy constraints.
Work with Software designers to define interfaces to protocol stack, MAC/RRC and required processor subsystems.
Assist in the development of pre-silicon emulation systems/virtual platforms and use them for pre-silicon L1 FW design and verification.
Evaluate and implement leading edge tools for build, formal verification and test.
Define methodologies and standard methodologies.
Education & Experience
Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science is required.