Server Engineering Manager - Wallet, Payments & Commerce (Apple Pay)
New York City , New York , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Nov 12, 2020
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200206516
The Wallet, Payments & Commerce (Apple Pay) organization is looking for an exceptional Engineering Manager to join our server team. The ideal candidate would be a unique individual who can help recruit and build a new team centered around our NYC location. This new team will be sponsored by one of our existing server teams in Cupertino and work closely with allied server teams in London, Montreal, and Shanghai. This team will also work in a highly cross functional atmosphere with teams covering project management, business, product, partner engineering, iOS client, IoT, security, and UX.
- Solid verbal, written, listening, collaboration, and negotiation skills
- A passion for mentoring and coaching engineers in both technical and soft skills
- Experience in building highly scalable and distributed systems
- Strong programming expertise in Java including both object-oriented and functional techniques.
- Knowledge of web-services, TLS, ReST
- Knowledge of best practices for building secure systems
- At least 5+ years hands-on software development experience
- At least 2+ years engineering management experience
Due to the "remote start-up nature" of building a new team remote from Cupertino, at least 2 years management experience is required, including 2 full review cycles. While this new team is small, its manager will be expected to contribute as an engineer also. While a substantial understanding of computer science principles is essential, it is especially important that this new manager be able to provide leadership in solid Java architectural coding techniques - understanding how to use language features and tools to enhance and grow a large, complex, and micro-service-distributed codebase. Apple is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce, and this new manager will be expected to be supportive of that goal.
Education & Experience
BS or MS in Computer Science or related technical field, equivalent work experience will be considered
- Any of the following is plus:
- - Practical experience with NoSQL and relational databases
- - Public cloud platforms (AWS, GCP, etc) and using Docker and/or Kubernetes
- - Practical experience with stream-processing platforms such as Apache Kafka
- - Fintech or payments experience
- - Working knowledge of governance/security concepts and technologies including encryption, anonymization, PCI, PII, GDPR, etc.