Mechanical Design Engineer - Acoustics
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Nov 13, 2020
Weekly Hours: 7
Role Number: 200206195
At Apple, new ideas have a way of quickly becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences. Sound is an essential and compelling facet of the customer experience. Apple has assembled a world-class Acoustics team that enables our customers to experience music with delight, communicate with clarity, and appreciate our products without disturbance from noise. In Apple Acoustics we work with obsessive attention to detail, directly contributing to products that ship to millions of people around the world. Apple's Audio Transducer Design team is looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer with strong design skills and wide manufacturing knowledge. The candidate will partner with acoustic engineers, work with cross-functional teams, and direct contract manufacturers to help design and build Apple's next generation of speaker modules.
- 3+ years of mechanical design experience for high-volume production
- 3D CAD and 2D drawing experience required, NX experience is preferred
- Experience designing injection molded plastic parts and progressively stamped metal parts
- Wide knowledge of engineering materials and the material selection process
- Proactive problem solving, including root cause analysis and DOE creation
- Capable of working with and driving actions in assembly and part production facilities in Asia
- Disciplined in GD&T practices with close attention to datum establishment
- Understanding of tooling design and how it affects the way parts are designed
- Experience in the consumer electronics industry working with small/micro electromechanical assemblies
- Ability to use dimensional data to inform part design decisions including: conducting tolerance stack analysis, understanding measurement techniques, analyzing data with available tools, identifying issues from dimensional data, and driving part improvements.
The Mechanical Design Engineer on the Audio Transducer Design team is responsible for designing and validating custom speaker modules for Apple's highly space-constrained products. Throughout the design process you will partner with a Transducer Design Engineer that is responsible for optimizing the acoustic and magnetic performance of the module. Working together you will balance the tradeoffs between acoustic performance, mechanical design, manufacturing, and reliability. This role requires generating 3D and 2D CAD from scratch for components including: plastic enclosures, metal stampings, insert molded electrical connections, overmolded seals, magnet system subassemblies, and more. The designs will be reviewed by suppliers and cross functional teams, requiring timely modifications to address design issues without impacting project schedule. The Mechanical Design Engineer also needs to improve the acoustic performance and reliability of the speaker modules by pursuing innovative ideas that bring the module to the limit of what's possible. This means developing new design approaches, exploring different assembly methods, introducing new materials, and implementing new manufacturing processes. After parts are released for manufacturing, the Acoustics Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for ensuring that the speaker components and modules can be manufactured in high volumes without issues, while meeting the performance specifications. This involves iterating on the design, developing test plans, generating reliability specifications, performing failure analysis, and conducting experiments (DOEs) to find design solutions and drive corrective actions.
Education & Experience
BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering or closely related field