MINNESOTA LEGAL ASSISTANT
POSITION: Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (Legal Aid) seeks a full-time Legal Assistant to aid its Minneapolis Housing team in the representation of tenants. Legal Aids mission is to advocate for the legal rights of disadvantaged people to have safe, healthy, and independent lives in their communities. Legal Aid provides free civil legal representation to clients with low incomes and seniors throughout 21 counties in central Minnesota, and to people with disabilities throughout the state.
- Support attorneys in litigation
- Interaction with Legal Aid clients
- Case investigation
- Help attorneys prepare for hearings and trials
- Obtain and manage case information
- Work directly with clients in public settings, such as in courtrooms
- Assist in grant reporting
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to the needs of low-income/vulnerable clients
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency using Microsoft Windows and Office is required
- Highly self-motivated and the ability to work well under pressure
- Apply the principles of Legal Aids Racial Justice Values Statement in all work-related business and interactions
- Ability and experience as a trained paralegal is preferred
- Legal training, such as skills in e-filing, case preparation, etc., preferred
- Knowledge of community resources
- Experience with case management software
- Diverse economic, social, or cultural experiences are a plus
- Proficiency in a second language is a plus, specifically Spanish, Somali, Arabic, Oromo, or Hmong
SALARY: Full-time starting salary for the position is $32,569 to $35,103, depending on experience. Benefits include vacation and sick leave, medical insurance, life insurance, and short and long-term disability insurance.
STARTING DATE: As soon as possible after position is filled.
We are an essential business, and we have strict health and safety protocols for those visiting or working at our physical office. Legal Aid will provide personal protective equipment.
APPLICATIONS: Submit cover letter, resume, three job-related references, and a writing sample online at: www.mylegalaid.org/employment by Wednesday, November 25, 2020, or until position is filled.
No calls please.
Legal Aid is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.