About Root Capital:
Root Capital invests in the growth of agricultural enterprises so they can transform rural communities. These businesses purchase crops such as coffee, cocoa, or grains from smallholder farmers. With growth, they become engines of the impact that can raise incomes, create jobs, empower women and young people, sustain peace, and preserve vulnerable ecosystems. Root Capital supplies these businesses with vital resources: access to capital, trade and technical partners, financial
training, and conservation practices. We work in hard-to-serve geographies where others don't. To date, we've loaned $1.5 billion to improve the lives of over six million people in farming communities. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Peru, Senegal, and Kenya.
The Chief Talent Officer (CTO) is responsible for developing and executing the human resource strategy in support of the overall business plan and strategic direction of the organization, specifically in the areas of compensation and performance management, talent management, training and development, and with regard to all essential HR processes and procedures. This person will be responsible for improving outcomes to ensure that the HR function offers equitable, transparent and inclusive systems and practices to support an engaged and high-performing staff. We envision a Root Capital in which we empower employees across the globe to access and apply the tools and resources they need to be successful in their jobs; to thrive as a diverse, cohesive team; and to enable our multi-faceted approach
to growing rural prosperity.
1. Executive and Managerial Responsibilities (20%)
Supervise three regional HR managers for the US, Latin America and Africa. Provide direct reports
with ongoing feedback, coaching, and development opportunities to ensure that they, and the
teams that they lead, are highly motivated, productive, and engaged.
Spearhead regular global HR Team meetings to direct HR & Admin goals and workflows for global
HR team of six individuals.
Act as strategic partner to COO and Root's Executive Council on HR and organizational matters
(including succession planning).
2. Compensation and Performance Management (30%)
Maintain comprehensive compensation and benefits plans that are competitive and cost-effective.
Ensure that Root Capital's compensation approach, as well as the progression and promotion
process, are clear to the Root team and promote staff engagement and retention.
Conduct biennial refresh of Root Capital pay bands using salary benchmark surveys that are
relevant for our sector and up-to-date.
Oversee a performance management process that measures employee contribution to
organizational goals, function-specific skill sets, and behavioral competencies, and that facilitates
justification of individual performance bonuses, plus progressions and promotions.
Oversee preparations for annual salary adjustments ensuring that all promotions, raises, and
bonuses are properly calculated and implemented.
3. Talent Management, Culture & Employee Relations (30%)
Ensure that onboarding and off-boarding processes are comprehensive and consistent for all staff.
Develop comprehensive strategic recruiting and retention plans to meet the organization's human
capital needs and strategic goals.
Regularly conduct gap analysis / skills assessments with department heads to help identify gaps in
training, and ensure that professional development opportunities align with what is needed for
Oversee the development and implementation of training and in-service education programs.
Design strategy for organizational culture. Develop and maintain organizational leadership principles
and values. Lead organizational communication on strategic human capital topics. Manage
practices, policies, and cultural norms to ensure cross-cultural harmony and organizational success.
Handle escalated employee relations matters, with the help of Root Capital's General Counsel
and/or outside legal counsel when needed. Create conflict resolution strategies and processes
throughout the organization.
4. Global oversight for basic HR duties, systems and processes (20%)
Oversee and regularly update global HR & Admin budget.
Ensure that payroll processing is seamless, accurate, and requires minimal time commitment.
Ensure that benefits open enrollment process goes smoothly and is completed in a timely manner
with respect to the new plan year.
Ensure that Root Capital remains compliant with respect to US federal and state HR requirements,
in additional to local employment laws in foreign countries, in conjunction with payroll providers and
Ensure that personnel policies remain up-to-date and are regularly disseminated to staff in a way
that tracks acknowledgement.
Ensure that HRIS serves Root Capital's business purposes and employee needs.
Design and oversee implementation plans for Root's long-term office presence in a post-pandemic
world, including facilitating continued remote work, safety of physical workspaces, and hybrid work
Perform other relevant duties as assigned
Skills and Experience:
1. Fifteen years of professional experience with at least five years of executive HR experience and at least five
years of international HR experience. Bachelor's degree is required; a master's degree is preferred.
2. Spanish language skills are required.
3. SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) or SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) certification
4. Experience with recruitment, employee assessment and progression, and training.
5. Systems-minded orientation with excellent organizational and project management skills.
6. Able to provide strategic direction and insights to team and to pay attention to the details and accuracy needed
to ensure project success.
7. Practices absolute discretion with regard to sensitive HR and legal matters.
8. Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills, and an ability to connect across countries and cultures.
9. Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
10. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
11. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
12. Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
13. Knowledge of and experience with the following systems is preferred: Salesforce.com, Box.com, BambooHR,
Replicon, Paychex and Microsoft Office Suite.
14. Commitment to Root Capital's mission.
15. Must be authorized to work in the United States.