Sodexo Government Segment is seeking an extrodinary operational leader for a Chief Operating Officer (COO) to lead, manage, strategically grow and retain its federal business portfolio in North America consisting of prestigous clients in the Department of Defense, Federal, State, Guam and Intelligence business.
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated collaborative approach, excellent client relations, they will have full responsibility for the portfolio P&L and the ability to interpret complex financial statements in order to make the most sound decisions.
This is a virtual position. The direct reports of the COO are located on the West and East coasts respectfully aligned with their client portfolios. There will be a collaborative working relationship with the necessasry technical teams of HR, Finance, Govt Contracts, Sales, etc. in order to be successful.
The COO, Government Segment will report to the CEO Government North America and will have full P&L responsibility for segments operations in North American. The current revenue is approximately $450 Million for the segment and has the potential to grow significantly under the leadership of the new COO. The new COO will be expected to establish strong relationships with top clients to secure retention of the business and at the same time drive numerous untapped opportunities of growth within existing clients. This is an intensive human-capital business with decentralized teams working in client premises. In this leadership role, collaboration and the building of teams will be a key element of success. The COO has to be a role model in Safety while developing the broader managerial skills of her/his managers A main priority is to actively improve margins by demonstrating strong attention to rigorous management of the details and a strong control to optimize raw material and personnel costs.
Key priorities will include:
Developing the Client portfolio to deliver strong revenue growth:
- Build strong relationships with clients’ decision makers, participate in forums and/or develop special client events as needed to role model retention effort
- Create and articulate an inspiring vision to increase the value for our clients and develop the business opportunities.
- Ensure her/his operational teams support the sales teams’ efforts by strengthening our Brand in her/his region with reference sites capable to attract new clients
Anchoring the fundamentals of rigorous management of the middle of the page to increase margins:
- Ensure the continued success of the “DRIVE” program that will deliver food cost optimization across the segments retail business
- Heavy focus on the USMC contract middle of the page cost/ FCPM and MPLH management
- Continue and accelerate the usage of new personnel management tools to increase agile people scheduling to optimize labor cost and make it capable to adjust to constant demand evolution
- Drive and expand the usage of data and more precise KPIs (STEP Dashboard) to develop the culture of a sustained rigorous management of performance
Developing strong performing teams and managers:
- Along with all operations leadership, establish best in class Safety Standards and use Safety improvement within the segment
- Develop talent in her/his NorAm Region and ensuring talent pipelines provide succession candidates for all key NorAm Region positions
- Actively attract and recruit top talent to strengthen teams and manage performance and take courageous difficult decisions when needed
- Drive Engagement for employees by defining and implementing supporting initiatives based on deep insights of the team members
Support of the Brand and Corporate efforts:
- Ensures the business is carried out in compliance with all established Federal Regulations, Government standards, Federal and state agencies and company policies as well as labor laws
- Work with the segments CEO in order to achieve a full and seamless integration of our teams and clients
- Champion and ensure the Implementation of all operational end-to-end processes and SOPs
- Support and enable the global communication strategy in the NorAm Region and develop a communication plan
- Lead the segment in through consistent personal role-modeling of behaviors aligned with the company values, ethical principles and behaviors
- Contribute to company-wide efficiency and effectiveness across the NorAm Region, working collaboratively and supporting collaborative ways of working; providing input on cross-organization topics; promoting local, collaborative decision-making in order to avoid escalation
- Support the identification and realization of synergies across the North America Region, and prevent the emergence of organizational ‘silos.