Job Title: Coordinator, School Staffing
Office: Office of Resource Strategy
Date Posted: 11/24/2020
Salary Range: 1-5 / $67,376 - $76,022
The mission of the Office of Resource Strategy (ORS) is to align and manage resources across the organization to best meet the needs of our schools and create the conditions for district success. The Office is responsible for facilitating the successful financial and business performance of the district and integrating the district's business and financial interests to ensure an equitable distribution of resources that best serves all students. The Office provides financial strategy and leadership to implement strategic goals and objectives and gives direction to leadership toward the achievement of the District's philosophy, mission, strategy, annual goals, and (see application details) Office also is responsible for ensuring sound business and financial practices are followed in compliance with federal and state regulations, district policy, business policies and procedures, and other applicable financial and business standards and (see application details) Office supports employees throughout the district to ensure DCPS provides high-quality customer service and employee support for all district employees.
ORS programs include the following:
- Employee Services: provide legally-compliant employee services related to benefits and compensation, manage workforce data and systems, and provide world-class customer service within 24 hours;
- Contracts & Acquisitions: Support schools and Central Office in purchasing goods in alignment with procurement law and regulation; and
- Finance: Ensure school and central office finances are allocated and expended in alignment with the district's strategic plan, in a manner that fosters transparency, maximizes funds, promotes equity, and ensures compliance with requirements.
The Employee Services (ES) work group supports the work of all school-based and Central Office staff and is comprised of the following five teams:
- The Benefits and Compensation team is responsible for the following: administering and encouraging adherence to a consistent classification grading philosophy; ensuring that DCPS administers compensation policies consistently and pursuant to relevant legislation and collective bargaining agreements; providing support to units during reorganizations, RIFs, and other periods of hire, transfer, promotion, and demotion; conducting classification reviews, administering position audits, and approving position descriptions; offering retirement counseling, guidance, and advanced planning; and administering the agency's health, life, tax shelter, flexible spending, and supplementary benefits plans.
- The Employee Services Communication and Training (ESCT) team manages all Employee Services communications to the DCPS workforce, stakeholders, and external partners, as well as leads the development and implementation of resources, workshops, and events designed to support employee needs. ESCT also manages several customer service and central office performance initiatives for DCPS, including the Employee Services helpline, walk-in visitor reception, clearance compliance, employee onboarding and offboarding processes, licensure compliance, and central office employee performance evaluations.
- The HR Information Systems and Records Management team ensures systems data integrity, manages the data reporting function, processes personnel actions in PeopleSoft, provides position management support for schools and Central Office, provides time and labor support, and manages the personnel filing system for all DCPS employees. The team also serves as a key HR partner to external agencies like the Office of the Chief Technology Officer (OCTO), the DC Office of Human Resources (DCHR), and the Office of Pay and Retirement Services (OPRS).
- The HR Systems Development team manages the design, development, and overall strategy of several technical applications managed by Central Office teams. This technical team ensures that data is accurate and integrated between systems. It seeks to use applications and their data to improve and fine-tune processes so that the agency can accomplish its work efficiently and DCPS employees are empowered to easily use these systems.
- The Strategic Staffing team is responsible for hiring for all positions in DCPS. The team provides budgeting support, works with principals and supervisors to develop their staffing plans and personnel budgets, and works with employees, principals, and hiring managers on staffing changes.
The Coordinator, School Staffing will play an integral role in working with principals to develop comprehensive staffing plans, efficiently and effectively bring on new Highly Effective staff, and develop and refine innovative operational processes. The incumbent will join a growing team that hires and maintains highly qualified candidates and employees to serve students within DCPS.
The Coordinator, School Staffing will report to the Manager, School Staffing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Supports the management of the Strategic Staffing team in implementing a customer-service oriented, efficient, and high-quality approach to school staffing.
- Builds relationships with school leaders, teachers, and district staff to develop a deep understanding of the unique needs and cultures in schools across the district.
- Liaises with successful applicants, other departments in the Office of Resource Strategy, school leaders, and others to ensure that applicants are well matched to schools and district staffing needs are met.
- Manages staffing data for analysis and decision-making, including reporting to the senior management team.
- Establishes operational goals and makes periodic evaluations of progress to determine the need for adjustments in school staffing strategy.
- Manages communication with potential and current applicants.
- Responds effectively to requests from internal and external DCPS stakeholders.
- Works in an extremely fast-paced environment, under tight deadlines, and with multiple responsibilities.
- Bachelor's degree and two to four years of related work experience.
- Master's degree preferred.
- Previous exposure to or experience in the education sector a plus.
- Specific experience in staffing and/or human resources a plus.
- Outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Strong organizational skills, including keen attention to detail and the ability to adhere to strict deadlines.
- Exceptional writing and oral communication skills.
- Excellent time-management skills and a willingness to work non-standard hours.
- Strong data analysis skills.
- The ability to learn quickly, work in a fast-paced environment, and multi-task effectively.
- The ability to proactively identify challenges and work to find solutions.
- The ability to work independently and be a self-starter while collaborating with others on meeting common goals.
- The ability to exercise good judgment in quickly dealing with difficult situations and unexpected challenges.
Personal Qualities of Top Candidates
- Commitment to Equity: Passionate about closing the achievement gap and ensuring that every child, regardless of background or circumstance, receives an excellent education.
- Leadership: Coaches, mentors, and challenges others to excel despite obstacles and challenging situations.
- Focus on Data-Driven Results: Relentlessly pursues the improvement of central office performance and school leadership, instruction, and operations, and is driven by a desire to produce quantifiable student achievement gains.
- Innovative Problem-Solving: Approaches work with a sense of possibility and sees challenges as opportunities for creative problem solving; takes initiative to explore issues and find potential innovative solutions.
- Adaptability: Excels in constantly changing environments and adapts flexibly in shifting projects or priorities to meet the needs of a dynamic transformation effort; comfortable with ambiguity and non-routine situations.
- Teamwork: Increases the effectiveness of surrounding teams through collaboration, constant learning and supporting others; sensitive to diversity in all its forms; respects and is committed to learning from others.
- Dependability: Does whatever it takes to consistently deliver with high quality under tight deadlines; successfully manages own projects through strong organization, detailed workplans, and balancing of multiple priorities.
- Communication and Customer Service Skills: Communicates clearly and compellingly with diverse stakeholders in both oral and written forms; anticipates and responds to customer needs in a high-quality and courteous manner.