The surgical scheduler works in a physician practice and is responsible for scheduling all surgical procedures for the practice. This includes all aspects of the surgical encounter such as patient pre-registration, facility posting, pre-op and post-op appointments, etc. The Surgical Scheduler maintains an excellent rapport with all Physicians and Physicians office staff.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Communicates professionally with physicians, physicians' office staff, co-workers and patients, providing excellent customer service and works collaboratively with a variety of individuals.
- Obtains accurate patient demographics and insurance information, adhering to current hospital standardization practices.
- Verifies that physician order matches scheduled or requested procedure.
- Schedules patients for surgical procedures in the appropriate Surgical Scheduling module.
- Independently prioritizes workflow to meet deadlines and productivity levels.
- Answers all incoming phone calls within three rings with proper greeting 100% of the time. Continuously checks department and individual phone messages throughout the day, returning phone messages within one hour.
- Faxes confirmations immediately as the case is posted and/or schedules inquiries upon request of offices.
- Rearrange schedules upon the request of physicians or physicians staff and/charge nurse of ACP OR or ESP.
- Follows all compliance practices mandated by federal documentation as well as other payers' requirements, achieving a minimum of 98% accuracy in completing the scheduling and pre-registration process.
- Displays willingness to accept other duties as assigned within department.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Two years of previous surgical scheduling and pre-registration experience required.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and anatomy is required. Sound computer skills and typing speed of 45 wpm is required.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will not be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands -
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.