Primary responsibility is to function in a support role for Behavioral Health and Psychiatric placements in the Emergency Department and inpatient units. The Placement Specialist provides direct support to the discharge planning process for any patient requiring placement in another facility including obtaining authorization. The Placement Specialist facilitates the exchange of clinical information and authorizations between the hospital and psychiatric facilities.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Follow direction of Behavioral Health Clinicians and/or psychiatrists to arrange for and facilitate timely placement, acceptance and transport of patients. Communicates plan and financial liabilities to patient/family if directed to do so.Troubleshoot problems to avoid delays in transfer or discharge.
- Obtains authorization for services. Informs Behavioral Health Clinicians and/or Psychiatrists of authorization status and any requests for additional information from receiving facilities.
- Fax or electronically transfer patient demographic and clinical information to facilities as required and to other agencies as requested by Behavioral Health Clinicians or Psychiatrists. Verifies facility received information. Prepares and distributes facility transfer packets as appropriate insuring that all paperwork is completed per standard. Identifies any missing documentation and initiates appropriate follow-up to obtain information.
- Arranges for transportation for patients as requested. Arrange taxi transportation via security as needed. Notifies facility and unit staff of transfer arrangements as requested.
- Participates in Behavioral Health process improvement activities. Identifies opportunities for improvement and recommend solutions. Participates in and facilitates data collection.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- One year related work experience
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will not be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands -
Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.