Image Quality Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Dec 11, 2020
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200204809
iPhone is the most popular camera in the world for a reason, and we're looking for employees to make it even better. Our team is looking for someone with a true passion for photography & videography, and has the drive vital to ship amazing product experiences to millions of people. The Image Quality Qualification team at Apple is searching for candidate with strong skills related to photography, videography or image science, and is passionate about learning more. Apple's camera solution is complex. We will give you the additional skills needed to be successful, since you will play a key role in driving photo & video image quality, crafting the future of Apple's cameras.
- Focus on details and possess strong debugging & analytical skills
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and can work collaboratively with a team and others cross-functionality
- Can balance multiple tasks, while having a track record of deliver outstanding results on time
- Experienced in testing, evaluating, and/or validating commercial or consumer camera systems both in lab environments and in real world conditions.
- Satisfy at least one of the following :
- Experience in methodologies used in objective and subjective camera image quality benchmarking and analysis
- Have an excellent sense of photography and videography/cinematography (understanding on a technical & artistic level as to what makes a good photograph "good", and a good video "good")
- Have a deep understanding of digital photography, camera image processing technologies, and aspects of computational photography
- You understand conventional camera pipelines & operations and why they are vital: 3A, sharpening, denoising, HDR & image fusion concepts, compression & video coding, etc. and comprehend the tradeoffs required to deliver the best final image or video.
Our products have a considerable complexity and rich feature set that push our hardware and software to the edge. We are looking for an excellent teammate who is dedicated to understanding, building, and enabling cutting-edge camera features. You will contribute directly to a variety of camera technologies, such as Portrait mode, new video features, new photo capture methodologies, etc. You will actively participate in quality evaluations for new features and algorithms, through experimental studies both in-lab and in the field, and provide direct feedback to the engineering teams. In this role you'll be a critical part of a fast-paced, collaborative team and who thrive in a high energy, time-constrained, multitasking environment to significantly impact our image/video quality.
Education & Experience
Bachelors or Masters Degree. While the ideal candidate may have a degree in: Image Science, Photographic & Motion-Picture/Video Sciences & Engineering, Color Science, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent educational experience in fundamental imaging technologies, other degrees bring different viewpoints to the discussion on what makes a great photo or video, so we welcome any degree if the candidate has a proven history in the relevant area.
- Though not required, please do mention to the recruiter if you have any of these additional skills:
- *Fundamentals of color science, as it relates to image & video quality, and understanding the core concepts of digital color management
- *Prior experience with traditional film photography and/or a technical understanding of display technologies
- *Understanding the fundamentals of the Human Visual System and how it impacts our perception of photos and videos in relation to the real world
- *Experience with Psychophysics and conducting Psychophysics experiments as it relates to image quality
- *Experience in video evaluation and understanding of video specific intricacies as related to compression/video coding
- *Experience in commercial video camera systems and an understanding of the complex intricacies involved in high quality videography