Materials Engineer - Structural Adhesives
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Dec 14, 2020
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200210298
We are looking for an experienced adhesives engineer/scientist.
- Extensive experience in structural adhesive material properties, assembly design and application processes required.
- Knowledge of adhesive materials and design for manufacturing in terms of geometry, structural performance and cosmetic quality.
- Experience in running sophisticated development programs with overseas vendors is helpful.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are necessary.
- Travel is about 25% and a mix of domestic and international.
- Serve as Apple's internal adhesive bonding specialist by demonstrating a thorough understanding of the chemistry and properties of adhesive materials, bonding processes and performance criteria for bonded substrates. - Lead the development of new adhesive materials and processes to meet the structural and performance requirements of a wide range of product designs. - Develop collaborative relationships with Apple suppliers in order to influence their multigenerational product development plans to meet material needs anticipated in future Apple product designs. - Use your technical contacts and network with industry specialists to discover new technologies, which could be applied to Apple designs for improved performance and differentiation. - Collaborate with product design and manufacturing design groups on material selection, design feasibility and assembly techniques of new product designs. Create data-rich material matrices to summarize advantages & disadvantages of candidate materials. - Work with suppliers and internal/external laboratories in order to create material characterization data to support FEA simulation and build engineering confidence in the performance of a material for a given part design. - Proficient with the use of Design For Manufacturing, SPC and Six Sigma techniques and visit factories to fully understand their capabilities, quality requirements and resolve difficult material-related issues.
Education & Experience
MS in chemistry, chemical engineering or material science and/or 5+ years in the adhesives industry.