PHY Systems Engineer - Simulation
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Dec 14, 2020
Role Number: 200211788
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish! Join us to help deliver the next groundbreaking Apple product. Do you love working on challenges that no one has solved yet? As a member of our dynamic group, you will have the unique and rewarding opportunity to craft upcoming products that will delight and inspire millions of Apple's customers every single day. Wireless technologies have become a crucial part of all Apple devices that delight our customers. Our devices operate in radio environments with wide range of applications and intertwines different wireless technologies. With the latest developments in cellular, WiFi, and BT, we utilize a sophisticated simulation platform to study performance of our devices in complicated radio and network conditions and gain insights for system design. We are looking for an expert Wireless System Engineer who has a deep understanding of wireless device interactions in a network, different protocol layers, and different technologies within the same device. In this role, you will be a key member of the Cellular Systems engineering team, involved in the development of wireless technologies with a focus in protocol and wireless system design, modeling, and simulations.
- - Skilled in Software languages: C++/C, experience with simulator framework design.
- - In-depth knowledge of wireless communication systems with hands-on experience in lab testing & characterization.
- - Deep-knowledge of communication system theory and signal processing will be essential for this role to design algorithms such as timing recovery, filter design, signal estimation and detection, automatic gain control, RF impairments estimation and correction, channel estimation, equalization, forward-error correction, OFDM, MIMO detection, etc.
- - Experience with Matlab, C/C++ and/or Python for algorithm development, modeling (floating-point and fixed-point) and link-level simulation. Experience in low power algorithm design and High Level Synthesis (HLS) for power sensitive applications is helpful. Experiences with 4G/5G PHY FW design is preferred.
- - Experience in chip bring-up including the use of lab equipment such as protocol test equipment, spectrum analyzers, signal generators, power meters, etc..
- - Knowledge of cellular communication standards: 5GNR, 4G LTE, 3G (HSPA), 2G GSM.
- - Strong analytical skills (linear algebra, random processes, detection and estimation, etc.).
- You will build a state of the art network simulator for wireless networks, including cellular 4G/5G, WiFi 802.11ac/ax, Bluetooth and other emerging technologies. - Model PHY/RF and protocol coexistence of different wireless technologies. - Model the protocol layer interactions of various deployment scenarios. - Evaluate device and network performance of different coexistence algorithms and configurations. - Develop and optimize systems algorithms for wireless performance and coexistence. - Model the end to end wireless system protocols as well as the effect of the wireless channel and transceiver behavior, in a simulation platform. - Conduct particular studies and provide reference simulations using the simulation platform. - Ultimately, you will be responsible for providing insights and proposing new system design algorithms to build a better product.
Education & Experience
MS/PhD in Computer Science or Electrical/Computer Engineering or equivalent experience.