This non-clinical healthcare professional is responsible for obtaining accurate patient registration information, including but not limited to demographic and financial information, while working in a fast-paced, clinical environment.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Accurately obtains and processes patient demographic, insurance, and medical information Demonstrates the ability to identify and register patient accurately into the Master Patient Index thereby reducing erroneous duplicate Medical Records; PAR will be expected to maintain a 98% accuracy in medical record creation, in accordance with Best Practice Standards. Demonstrates the ability to act appropriately on Real Time Insurance eligibility messages, including adding, removing, correcting, and terminating coverages. Demonstrates excellence in ensuring patients are provided with necessary regulatory information (i.e. HIPAA, Patient Rights Brochure, IMM, NOOS, ABN, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to apply technical knowledge in multiple systems, including but not limited to Epic-based applications, Meditech applications, administrative applications (i.e. Outlook, AAMC Intranet, Active Staffer, TimePC, etc.), and necessary online applications (i.e. IXT Copay Collections).
- Independently prioritizes PAR workflow (including, but not limited to, workqueue management, patient registrations, insurance verification, and other assigned tasks) to meet standards for performance and productivity within departmental deadlines.
- Communicates financial responsibilities to patients and collects funds, accordingly.
- Maintains a thorough understanding of downtime procedures and effectively demonstrates the ability to perform job functions during such conditions.
- Adheres to the compliance policies of the department and organization (i.e. timely arrivals, minimal absences, appropriate attire, readiness for work, adherence to the department working schedule, follows AAMC policies regarding personal electronic devices, and other policies, as outlined by the organization). Answers the phone courteously and professionally, and as per department guidelines, reponsids to inquiries and resfers all calls, as appropriate. Maintains knowledge of departmental issues and hospital-wide change, by attending meetings and inservices, and by keeping abreast of all appropriate written and electronic emails provided to the employee.
- Successfully demonstrates the ability to perform at, or above standards, in all assigned roles in the department. Assists with the training and orientation of new staff, as needed, and under the direction of the Supervisor.
- Identifies insurance verification issues and takes necessary steps to resolve them and/or inform patients of options, including but not limited to, financial assistance information.
- Provides warm and friendly greetings to patient and their families/visitors, upon arrival. Maintains empathy and professionalism in registration interviews and while providing regulatory information and notices.
- Clearly and professionally communicates to internal and external customers, including (but not limited to), clinical staff, coworkers, administration, and other outside departmental staff. Works collaboratively with and under the direction of the assigned shift coordinator. Escalates issues us the chain, as appropriate.
Required Minimum Education: High School Diploma or GED. Some college preferred.
Required Minimum Experience: Previous experience in registration and/or healthcare insurance preferred. Experience in fast-paced, team setting, preferred. Typing 35 wpm, required.
Required License / Certifications: None
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
Based on the essential functions, insert the type of work performed (e.g. light, medium, heavy, etc).
Light work. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for light work.
There is reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
For the sentence in bold, please indicate if the position will or will not be exposed to blood borne-pathogens. There is reasonable expectation that employees in this position will or will not (please indicate one) be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.