Mechanical Engineer, Finite Element Analysis (FEA)
San Diego , California , United States
Posted: Dec 18, 2020
Role Number: 200212825
Why Apple? We live in a mobile and device driven world where knowledge of the physical world around us is needed. We rely on this knowledge to get around, to learn about our environment and to enable spectacular new features for custom applications. Apple is meeting those needs as robustly and as creatively as possible and is passionate about people who want to help meet that commitment. The success we are striving will be the result of very skilled people working in an environment which cultivates creativity, partnership, and thinking of old problems in new ways. If that sounds like the kind of environment that you find intriguing, then let's talk. The camera hardware engineering team is responsible for all research, design, development, test, and qualification of camera hardware for Apple products. We are seeking an extraordinary Mechanical Engineer (FEA) to evaluate and work on camera hardware modules and component parts.
- 5+ years of experience running non-linear static and dynamic Finite Element Analysis using Abaqus
- Rigorous knowledge of Solid Mechanics and Strength of Materials
- Structural and thermo-structural focus; additional analyses may include electromagnetic, heat transfer, and CFD
- Passion for creating innovative, high quality products
- Desire to work in fast-paced environment
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills; ability to interact with cross-functional teams, management, and external vendors
- Experience with calibration, verification, and validation of models through physical testing
- Preferred experience in modeling of different classes of materials including polymers, elastomers, soft adhesives, and brittle materials
- Preferred experience in testing including methods using Digital Image Correlations, Universal Testing Machines, and Dynamic Mechanical Analysis
- Experience coupling FEA results to optical simulations tools such as Zemax or CODE V is a plus
- Proficiency in Matlab, Python, and Abaqus User Subroutines is a plus
As a member of the Camera Hardware team, you will own and drive analysis of cutting edge products, enabling early optimization prior to prototyping, as well as root cause and failure analysis of difficult mechanical problems. - Generate finite element models/analytical models of camera modules and camera components - Communicate and report analysis results to team as well as cross functional teams - Recommend design changes/directions to meet product performance requirements - Own and drive material characterization and testing to support modeling efforts - Coordinate and work with other analysts to integrate module models into larger assembly models - Participate in team brainstorming and new technology development. - Consideration will be given to qualified candidates from consumer electronics, medical, aerospace, automotive, or other fields with related technology and development models.
Education & Experience
BS/MS/PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Material Science or similar concentration
- Occasional travel to manufacturing partners is required Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law. If you are applying for a position in San Francisco. Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law. Learn more. Apple's committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Learn more. Apple is a drug-free workplace. Learn more.