Display Modeling Development Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Dec 18, 2020
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200206889
Do something different! Apple is looking for a world class engineer who can help advance diffractive optics technologies. You will work with both suppliers and internal teams at Apple to craft the display related technologies that go into Apple products. You will not only need to identify new tech, but also educate a broad audience of people at Apple about their benefits and tradeoffs. This position is passionate about identifying and prototyping display technologies for future Apple products, and communicating the results to the team. The team features a diverse engineering roster including optical engineers, human perception specialists, product design engineers, material scientists, process engineers, and experimental physicists. We work at a fast pace and require everyone to be highly self-motivated. The successful candidate needs to be a flexible thinker and be able to tackle problems outside of their respective technical area. Join us! It's going to be awesome!
- Engineering background in displays, optics, human perception, physics, or software development and implementation.
- Prior experience using diffractive optics modeling tools and developing custom software.
- Understanding of various optical modeling methods as well as modeling software and high-performance computing.
- Strong presentation, communication, analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Solid background of physical optics, diffractive optics, EM wave theory and modeling, photonics, light source, and metrology technology.
- Knowledge of display stack-up and basic optical design.
- Capable of prototyping, metrology, conducting design of experiments, and analytical data processing.
Identify core building blocks in diffractive optics modeling platform development. Investigate the level/type of physics to be included in the models. Develop computational models and implement in high performance computational platforms. Work with key stake holders to iterate design and implementation. Build compelling prototypes that demonstrate the new technologies. Investigate user interaction with the tools and iterate on them. Optimally communicate the advantages, disadvantage, and limitations of the models. Shepherd the technologies into both external supplier and internal product roadmaps.
Education & Experience
M.S. or Ph.D. in Physics, Optical Science/Engineering, EE, Human Perception or equivalent with 5+ years of experience in related field.
- Preferred Qualifications (but not required):
- Experience in consumer electronics and optics/process development
- Experience managing domestic and international vendors
- Experience in C or C++