Friday, December 4, 2020
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than
260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies
, WordStream, and
and U.K. media company Newsquest.
There's never been a better time to join our talented team. Visit
General Assignment Reporter
The Gadsden Times/gadsdentimes.com, part of theUSA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a general assignment reporter, with an emphasis on governmental agencies. You will focus on gathering, writing and presenting news and information to a variety of audiences, with a strong emphasis on digital.
Youll be responsible for beat development, reporting, research and all aspects of writing stories with emphasis on digital, but with a print component too.
Given the networking capabilities with other Gannett papers in Alabama this role has the potential to communicate to a statewide audience.
- Create content (articles, videos, photos and social media posts) about local news that accurately informs, entertains and engages key audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Work toward becoming the communitys leading voice for news and issues in Gadsden.
- Plan and execute engagement opportunities to reach audiences through content, community events and social media.
- Work with content coach to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborate with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics).
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor's or masters degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 years reporting experience, which could include freelancing, internships and college publication work.
- Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and publication ready.
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsroom.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- News often requires employees to work extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays, sometimes unexpectedly.
- This role requires a valid drivers license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
How to Apply:
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, dont limit your upload to a resume; show us what youve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what youve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc.
is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Columnist and Journalist