Thursday, December 17, 2020
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than
260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies
, WordStream, and
and U.K. media company Newsquest.
There's never been a better time to join our talented team. Visit
We are looking for a Managing Editor to join the Utica Observer Dispatch team! The person will:
* Spend considerable time and effort convening discussions and virtual or in-person events with segments of local communities in Utica and Binghamton. Work with colleagues to present core findings from these discussions and events in short video and written excerpts and insights articles or editorials.
* Conduct meetings with under-served local communities to generate trust, to explain the local news mission and to explore opportunities to deliver three-dimensional and compelling content and submitted articles about life in these communities and potential solutions to challenges they face.
* Write or guide creation of a weekly editorial in Utica and in Binghamton, working closely with regional opinion editor and with Rochester engagement editor to identify common themes where appropriate.
* Facilitate the telling of stories and sharing of viewpoints by community members in innovative ways on mobile devices, including words, video, visuals and social media stories.
* Work with community editor or newsroom administrator to ensure smooth and productive intake of reader letters and op-eds, curating submitted material in an efficient manner so that the strongest and most relevant content is published.
* Work with colleagues in Atlantic Region to seek and obtain grants supporting community engagement tools and solutions-oriented journalism.
* Participate in community events as needed for networking, branding and promotional purposes.
* Work with Content Strategy Analyst and other editors to evaluate what's working and what's not. Develop plans to meet needs of underserved audiences better.
* Pay special attention to the issues and trending topics impacting diverse members of local neighborhoods.
* Weekly contact necessary with state reporting team to assist with research and reporting.
* Collaborate with content team to provide all the appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos,
videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
Required Qualifications include:
* Bachelor's in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education, or college degree in a related field.
* Five years of reporting or reader engagement experience, which could include freelancing, internships and college publication work.
* Candidates must have experience with multi-platform storytelling, image and audio production and social media strategy.
* Social media skills required.
Gannett Co., Inc.
is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Content Strategy & Coaching