This position will be responsible for sourcing, analyzing, recommending approval or denial, and processing Small Business Administration (SBA) guaranteed commercial loans and other loan programs to expand business relationships with existing customers and develop new business referral sources.
Please Note: the following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed; they are not intended to be an exhaustive or exclusive list of the required responsibilities, duties, and skills; management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties and requirements of this position at any time, with or without notice, as business needs dictate.
- Follows all lending policies, procedures, and applicable laws to ensure the efficient and effective operation of the commercial loan function.
- Initiates and cultivates new loan relationships for the company through active business development efforts including calls, visits, and industry involvement.
- Demonstrating strong solution-oriented sales and communications skills and effectively establishing rapport and credibility with customers.
- Analyzes commercial loans by interviewing applicants to develop financial and credit information, define borrowing needs, assess management abilities, analyze financial strength, and determine the risk associated with the request.
- Works with a credit underwriter to insuring the complete analysis of all financial, industry, and management information. Evaluates and structures credit terms in accordance with SBA lending policies.
- Preparing, presenting, and recommending loan requests to the appropriate loan committees for approval; attend Loan Committee Meetings as a non-voting member.
- Insures proper loan documentation is prepared and reviewed.
- Assists in the collection effort of problem loans to reduce the company’s loss.
- Demonstrating leadership and team-building skills.
- Models professionalism by addressing others with appropriate actions and appearance within professional boundaries.
- Resolves customer questions through direct involvement or through coordination with other company employees.
- Performs field and/or business inspections of existing and potential loan customers to verify the adequacy of collateral securing the credit, as well as to evaluate the general management and condition of the operation.
- Handles loan transactions, customer questions, and problems quickly and professionally.
- Participates in special projects and assignments, and performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
COMMUNICATION: Expresses information/thoughts clearly and concisely in both written and verbal form. Keeps communication channels open with subordinates and supervisors. Responds promptly to calls or inquiries in a courteous and professional manner. Communication is effective and efficient.
COMPLIANCE: Ability to comprehend and adhere to the SBA SOP. Follow all Company policies and procedures, and successfully participate in Company training requirements.
CONFIDENTIALITY: This position requires keeping complete confidentiality of all customer transactions and information.
- Qualified candidates will have at least 5 years Commercial Lending experience as a relationship manager with demonstrated business development and credit analysis/underwriting experience.
- SBA lending experience is preferred.
- Formal sales training and/or credit training is preferred.
- Ability to understand new information and apply it for future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Strong commitment to providing exceptional customer service.
- Strong knowledge of analyzing credit requests, collateral analysis, proper structuring and pricing of loans and collections.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Uphold professional expectations including strong interpersonal skills, customer service, and dress code.
- Proficient in MS Office, Word, Excel, and Outlook
Education / Certification Requirements
Degree in finance or accounting is preferred.
Job Location: Columbia, SC
Working hours: Monday-Friday 8:45 a.m.-4:45 p.m.