Iowa State University Extension and Outreach of Linn County is seeking a School Nutrition Educator. The role of the School Nutrition Educator is to promote healthy lifestyle by providing direct delivery of nutrition and physical activity lessons in K-3rd grade classrooms and K-5 out of school programs in the Cedar Rapids Community School District (CRCSD). The School Nutrition Educator will work closely with the Lead School Nutrition Educator and other team members to meet the educational needs of a diverse population. This position is made possible through a grant with the Iowa Department of Public Health’s (IDPH) Iowa Nutrition Network (INN) School Grant Program, which is supported by SNAP-Ed funds.
Job Classification: Part-time temporary, dependent upon grant funding.
Reports to: Lead Nutrition Educator and County Director
Terms of employment:
- Part-time, temporary. Up to 20-25 hours / week to adjust for school cancelations, etc.
- Yearly renewal of position contingent upon available funding.
- Hourly wage $13-15 based on education and experience
- Mileage on job is reimbursed at federal mileage rate from Linn County Extension office to program site. Employee will provide own vehicle and insurance for job-related travel.
- In accordance with ISU Extension and Outreach Child Protection and Safety Policy, a criminal record check will be completed on the applicant selected for this position.
- Continued employment contingent upon successful completion of initial 4-month probationary period.
- Participate in Linn County Extension (LCE) new staff orientation, grant program training, monthly team meetings, and other related training.
- Teach monthly nutrition and physical activity instruction in K-3rd grade classrooms at qualifying schools in the CRCSD using Pick a Better Snack™ & Act lessons provided by IDPH online. Coordinate shared delivery of lessons with classrooms teachers.
- Deliver education afterschool and summer programming.
- Participate in weekly or bi-weekly check ins with direct supervisor, as well as regular performance reviews.
- As needed, assist in arranging nutrition program teaching schedule and other logistics.
- Work with FoodCorps members to purchase and organize all program supplies, including fruit/vegetables for classroom tastings, teaching materials provided by Iowa Nutrition Network and all other supplies needed for lessons and special events.
- Responsibilities Continued:
- Plan and implement Healthy Family events for students and their families with school leaders, community partners, volunteers, FoodCorps members, and LCE staff for all schools in the course of the year.
- Partner with FoodCorps member to identify schools or classrooms interested in starting school gardens and provide support for garden projects as applicable.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- AA degree in related area: early childhood, para educator, childcare, etc
- One-year experience working with children or at-risk youth
- Experience with direct teaching to youth
- Strong classroom-management skills and ability to engage students in lessons
- Interest in and enthusiasm for subject-matter of lessons (healthy eating, physical activity, and fruits and vegetables).
- Demonstrated creativity, initiative, and ability to be self-motivated.
- Availability to work during the school day, as well as occasional evenings.
- Valid drivers license, insurance and access to vehicle
- Ability to lift and carry 20lbs
- Bachelor’s degree in education or related; or AA degree plus 2 years’ experience providing youth education.
- Past direct teaching experienced
- Proficiency working with computers, including Microsoft Office Suite (or equivalent) and social media
- Comfortability role modeling healthy behaviors and tasting fruits and vegetables
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities at once.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others and to also work well independently.
For more information or questions, please contact:
RaeAnn Gordon, County Executive Director
383 Collins Rd NE, Suite 201 Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
(319)377-9839 Ext 307