Senior Manager - Algo Engineering, Ad Platforms
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Jan 7, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200213335
At Apple, we work every single day to build products that enrich people's lives. Our Advertising Platforms group makes it possible for people around the world to easily access informative and visionary content on their devices while helping publishers and developers promote and monetize their work. Our technology and services power advertising in Apple News and Search Ads in App Store. Our platforms are highly-performant, deployed at scale, and setting new standards for enabling effective advertising while protecting user privacy. We are looking for a results-oriented and versatile senior leader who can excel in an Agile environment, leading our development efforts to deliver advanced algorithms to an ad network. You will work closely with data scientists, leading a team engineers to design, develop, and implement solutions, including leveraging open source, and building tools, frameworks, and components that will enable us to improve and scale our advertising algorithms. The successful candidate will help drive new approaches to preserving the privacy of our consumers, and change the way advertising works with data.
- Clear and effective communicator, and enjoy collaborative problem solving
- Track record of continuously driving for engineering excellence, leading teams to adopt best practices, rigorous development and quality processes
- Enjoy working on a shared codebase that supports web-scale, mission critical applications; and can drive the discipline that requires
- Proven experience leading teams that deliver mission critical data processing capabilities to production applications with massive scale and expensive failure modes
- Extraordinary understanding of modern data engineering approaches, stay on top of developments, and are aware of what leading players are doing
- Demonstarted success in leading teams that implement and extend highly performant, resilient, reliable, and understandable data processing pipelines
- Deep experience with Spark, Hadoop, HIVE, Kafka, Cassandra or other distributed systems
- Extensive expertise in Python, Java, Scala, SQL, and/or other relevant languages and frameworks
- Prior experience working in cloud environments and familiarity with object stores, inference engines, and common cloud-native data storage and processing frameworks
- Experience in CI/CD environments and understanding of supporting technologies and best practices
- Understand statistics and are capable of using data analysis techniques to understand data quality, profile system loads, understand the relationships between business metrics, and technical metrics
- Experience working closely with operational teams on deployment, monitoring, and technology management concerns
You will lead the team that defines, refines, and/or refactors our approaches, designs, and delivers the algorithms and applications to meet the ad network challenges we must solve. You will mentor a team of world-class engineers hungry to apply leading-edge technologies to deliver extraordinary experiences to our customers. You will play a critical leadership role building products which deliver on Apple's privacy commitments. You will work on a platform with extreme scale requirements. At Ad Platforms, we are constantly developing products to provide amazing user experiences and drive value. You will have the chance to lead the design and implementations of the engineering solutions that bring cutting edge ad network algorithms into production in heterogeneous environments. You will apply groundbreaking data engineering techniques, platform engineering approaches, and algorithmic solutions. You will join and contribute to a culture that emphasizes understandability, reliability, resiliency, simplicity, reusability, extensibility, scalability, and productivity. We are one team, nurturing each other's growth and supporting each other in delivering for our customers and Apple.
Education & Experience
BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science, Distributed Systems, Software Engineering, or related field; and experience designing, building, maintaining, and extending web-scale production systems.