Thursday, January 7, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than
260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies
, WordStream, and
and U.K. media company Newsquest.
There's never been a better time to join our talented team. Visit
The Desert Sun/desertsun.com in Palm Springs, California, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, seeks a business reporter to cover the Coachella Valley and surrounding areas, with an emphasis on real estate and the marijuana industry.
This person will join a highly motivated team of reporters who cover a wide variety of topics, in a vibrant slice of Southern California that is rich with coverage opportunities. They will be expected to identify important stories and write authoritatively for a local, and sometimes a national, audience.
Our ideal candidate will be curious about land deals, zoning issues and permitting, and not afraid to dig into the details of legislation or a big data set. At the same time, this reporter needs to be able to connect with humans and find the real-life people who are affected by policy decisions and economic trends.
Developing sources among local businesspeople, elected officials, real estate agents, farmers and more is required. In any given week, our business reporter might be writing about a Kardashian buying a mansion in Indio, Mike Tyson making plans for a cannabis resort in Desert Hot Springs, a grape grower facing labor shortages, and how Amazon operates one of its massive fulfillment centers in the Moreno Valley.
This journalist needs to be facile with numbers and familiar with general business and economic principles and have a knack for synthesizing and explaining complicated topics in accessible ways.
We expect a mix of daily news stories and longer narrative and investigative pieces, and we encourage this reporter to experiment with new ways to present information using new technologies and on new platforms.
This can include work with data visualization, video, standalone audio, or content specifically oriented to social media.
Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
Works toward becoming the communitys leading voice in area of expertise.
Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
Cultivate sources and keep a pulse on the business beat in the Coachella Valley and surrounding areas.
Produce a mix of daily, enterprise and in-depth articles.
Incorporate contemporary digital journalism tools in day-to-day reporting, including basic digital photo and video, social media and other web-based journalism tools.
Learn and integrate new skills as they become relevant to our mission, in a cross-functional and highly collaborative newsroom.
Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's or masters degree in communications, journalism, business, marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least two years in journalism with experience covering business.
- Proficiency navigating business filings, court documents and public records.
- Reliably clear and compelling copy, whether with quick breaking news or in-depth investigations.
- A thirst for stories behind the veneer.
- Competence with digital journalism tools, like social media, internet-based research and digital publishing platforms.
- Experience with data journalism techniques is a major plus.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Fluency in Spanish is an advantage.
- This beat will sometimes include evening or weekend work hours.
- This role requires a valid drivers license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check & urinalysis drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, dont limit your upload to a resume; show us what youve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what youve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc.
is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Columnist and Journalist