The professionals at the National Security Agency (NSA) have one common goal: to protect our nation. The mission requires a strong offense and a steadfast defense. The offense collects, processes and disseminates intelligence information derived from foreign signals for intelligence and counterintelligence purposes. The defense prevents adversaries from gaining access to sensitive classified national security information.
The United States has experienced profound changes that impact the way the National Security Agency (NSA) conducts its mission. The explosion of Internet communications has created a need for the Computer Network Operations (CNO) mission. This very important mission includes computer network defense and computer network exploitation. In order to carry out these functions NSA is looking for IT Security Professionals who are highly skilled, want to stay on the leading edge of technology and impassioned about ensuring the United States maintains a strategic edge in cyberspace. These are NOT your average Cyber, Computer Science, Networking, or Engineering jobs!
On the offensive side of the NSA mission you will:
- execute computer network operations against foreign adversaries' information systems and networks
- use advanced software applications for network navigation, tactical forensic analysis, and collection of valuable intelligence information
- research and implement solution sets to influence and enhance network offensive posture.
On the defensive side of the NSA mission, as part of the Red, Blue or Hunt Team, you will:
- execute computer network operations against official US government organizations worldwide for the purpose of strengthening information system security (Red team)
- identify intrusions and vulnerabilities and recommend mitigation strategies and techniques to secure networks (Blue Team)
- identify, analyze and develop defensive measures to thwart advanced, state-sponsored intrusions of DoD and Federal Government networks around the world (Blue Team)
- conduct and support Computer Network Operations to interactively search for Advanced Persistent Threats (APT) and Indicators of Compromise (IOC) using enhanced data collection and analysis methods (Hunt Team)
- use advanced software applications for network navigation, perform tactical forensic analysis and collect valuable network data to proactively identify and characterize adversarial activity (Hunt Team).
This position is well-suited for individuals who enjoy visiting network security websites, attending conferences such as Black Hat / DEFCON, setting up and maintaining their own network or competing in Capture the Flag events.
You will be required to take a computer network operator test (Computer Networking Test) in order to be considered for this position. The test includes 2 sections. The first measures your ability to draw conclusions based on available information. The second measures your knowledge in these topic areas: Networking, Security, Windows, UNIX and Programming.
The ideal candidate is someone with solid decision making and problem solving skills, ability to react quickly, and technical proficiency in several of the following areas:
- Operating systems fundamentals (Windows and/or Unix/Linux)
- System administration (Windows and/or Unix/Linux)
- Network administration
- Network traffic analysis
- Penetration testing
- Network security
- Incident response
- Computer and network forensics
- Vulnerability and malware analysis
- Low level protocol and packet analysis
- Scripting and/or programming languages
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
On-the job training, Internal NSA courses, and external training will be made available based on the need and experience of the selectee.
Work Schedule: Applicants should be aware that some of these jobs support 24/7 operations based on mission requirements and shift schedules may vary to include night shift.
Location: Most of these positions are located at Fort Meade, Maryland. On occasion there may be limited opportunities at sites in Hawaii, Texas and Georgia.
How To Apply - External
To apply for this position, please click the 'Apply' button located at the top right of this posting. After completing the application for the first time, or reviewing previously entered information, and clicking the 'Submit' button, you will receive a confirmation email. Please ensure your spam filters are configured to accept emails from (see application details).
FOR CURRENT OR PRIOR MILITARY, IF YOU ARE MEETING THE DEGREE REQUIREMENTS WITH TRAINING IN THE MILITARY AS MENTIONED IN THE MANDATORY QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS SECTION, PLEASE ATTACH A COPY OF YOUR JOINT SERVICE TRANSCRIPTS (JST)
***PLEASE NOTE: U.S. Citizenship is required for all applicants. Reasonable accommodations provided to applicants with disabilities during the application and hiring process where appropriate. NSA is an equal opportunity employer and abides by applicable employment laws and regulations. All applicants and employees are subject to random drug testing in accordance with Executive Order 12564. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a security background investigation and polygraph.
This position is a Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS) position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1601. DoD Components with DCIPS positions apply Veterans' Preference to eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 USC, in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, DCIPS Employment and Placement. If you are a veteran claiming veterans' preference, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you may be asked to submit documents verifying your eligibility.
Please note that you may be asked a series of questions depending on the position you apply for. Your responses will be used as part of the screening process of your application and will assist in determining your eligibility for the position. Be sure to elaborate on experiences in your resume. Failure to provide the required information or providing inaccurate information will result in your application not being considered for this position. Only those applicants who meet the qualifications for the position will be contacted to begin employment processing.
Please Note: Job Posting could close earlier than the closing date due to sufficient number of applicants or position no longer available. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
The National Security Agency (NSA) is part of the DoD Intelligence Community Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). All positions in the NSA are in the Excepted Services under 10 United States Codes (USC) 1601 appointment authority.
See job description